ArcGIS OnLine - Allow selection color for polygons to be controlled

Jump to solution
06-17-2016 08:00 AM
RayCrew
Occasional Contributor II

In ArcGIS Online, both Web Maps and Web Mapping Applications, seem to have a default color set for selected polygons. The polygon boundary is highlighted in cyan and the polygon highlighted in a semi-transparent brown. (See image below)

While clearing the selection will removes the highlight, many inexperienced users may not think to do that. Users have also been confused with the coloring, thinking the value or class of the polygon has been changed to something else. 

Some Web Mapping Application templates do change the color, but I have found they then change too many other things to be acceptable.

Does anyone know how to allow selection color to be controlled in all Web Maps and Web Mapping Applications? I have tried all I know from the MXD used to make the REST service to all available options in Web Maps and Web Mapping Applications.  This is a big enough deal for my reviewers to kill the project without a solution. My dream is to keep the cyan boundary and have a no color highlight for the polygon. Am considering adding a separate line layer, but am hoping to avoid that. 

Chad+highlighted.PNG

27 Replies
deleted-user-j87g-SJOwF1P
New Contributor

Kelly, is it also possible to apply this selection color hack to the Story Map Series, WAB ArcGIS Online edition or any other Apps for that matter? I have created an app with the ArcGIS Online WAB, but need to change the color (ideally it would be to completely remove the selection color). 

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Several of the configurable apps in ArcGIS Online support this capability but I don't think the Story Maps or WAB offer the ability to specify a selection color. Unless those apps provide an option to choose a selection symbol or overwrite the css you won't be able to modify the selection color for hosted versions. 

That said you can download the Story Map apps or use the developer version of the WAB to host the app locally and modify the selection symbol.  

NathanEnge
Esri Contributor

in story map template if using the AGO-assistant to edit the JSON of the Storymap, can this also be done for polylines? Looking to change the cyan to somthing else

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

No I don't think so. The selection color is defined by the JSAPI so you'll need to either have the ability to add custom css as outlined earlier or you'll have to download and host the app in order to specify the selection symbol colors. 

RachelLaqua
New Contributor

Hey Kelly,

I am having a similar issue with an ArcOnline map that searches parcel addresses for a planning/zoning map (the semi-transparent brown highlight tends to confuse people when our zoning layers are different colors).  I was curious as to how to edit this feature (I am using ArcOnline and not Story Map).  Has there been an update to alleviate this issue or is there a work-around method I can use?  Thx

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Rachel Laqua and Kelly Hutchins,

I would really like to modify the selection color in the Story Map series template and at this time we are not planning to host on our network but would prefer to leave it all on AGOL. I've looked around in settings but don't see any options for modifying the selection color. 

I didn't see anything posted on the ideas section either for updates.

Thank-you!!,
Kathy

0 Kudos
Madi_Worthy
New Contributor

Hi @KellyHutchins is there any update on this?

0 Kudos
RayCrew
Occasional Contributor II

It is totally work now using the suggestion from Kelly Hutchins​  Adding the text she suggested into the "Header Text" field and making sure the "Show Header Field" is checked on changed the highlight color.

holy mack.PNG