ArcGIS Online Basemaps not working

06-13-2011 10:08 AM
EricaJohnson1
New Contributor
I'm running ArcGIS 10 Desktop.  For about the last week, when I click the Add Data dropdown then select either Add Basemap or Add Data from ArcGIS Online my map locks up.  I haven't had any problems with this in the past.  Is there something going on with the server or is this something on my end?  Any ideas how to correct?
Thanks
Tags (2)
12 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
We are not aware of any issues.

How about any maps with existing basemaps already set. Do these work?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
EricaJohnson1
New Contributor
Yes, the basemaps that I already have in a project work fine.  However, if I try to add another base map the timer icon pops up for a few seconds then the top of the screen where the project name is grays out.  I can move the mouse but can't click anything.  I never get the pop-up box with the choices of base maps.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Do you connect to the internet through a proxy server? I have heard of issues related to this. Are you running the latest service packs?

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/13110-ArcInfo-Crashes-when-I-try-to-quot-Add-Data-quot-(Arc-10)

If this is not the case, I'd suggest contacting technical support.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MarilieCarstens
New Contributor
I have been unable to add a Basemap to my maps both today and yesterday.  My colleague in the office reports the same.  The 'Add Basemap' screen appears blank.  If I open a previous map that had a basemap, though no error is returned, no image is shown.  I have SP5 installed and my internet access is fine.  Please advise. Thankyou
TimPeterson
New Contributor
Same Issue here - 8/16/12. Basemap and ArcGIS online windows both blank./ When I attempt to sign in through the link on ArcGIS online, ArcMap crashes. Please do advise, ESRI.
0 Kudos
TimMarquardt
New Contributor
Same here.  Running 10.1 Desktop.  Add Basemaps screen is blank and after 30 sec. I get "Unable to connect to remote server".
0 Kudos
BrianIngalls
New Contributor II
I'm also having issues with the online basemaps. I've not used the feature for about 5 months or so. Today, I was going to see if the online Bing aerial map shows a newly built subdivision that our current in house map does not show. I can click on it and hit add, but nothing happens. Another ArcInfo user in my office was able to access it without issue on his machine. So I thought maybe I needed to reboot, as most issues on pc's are solved by rebooting. That didn't help. Any reason why one machine would be able to access the online basemaps, but another can't? Is there a setting I may have toggled? Could it be a software firewall issue? Both machines are identically configured and have been updated with ArcGIS SP5.
0 Kudos
GwenWolph
New Contributor III
I have noticed that when I add a Basemap or any ArcGIS Online data, it resets my page layout to some random corner of white page space, and I have to reset my display to "Zoom to page" to get back to my map.  It took awhile to figure that out - for awhile I thought it was just blanking out my map.  Been happening for the last week or two.
SamLarsen
New Contributor III
If you want to quickly check the availability of services in the future you can see the service availability dashboard at:
http://status.arcgis.com/
0 Kudos