ArcGIS Online HIPAA Services for geocoding

Jump to solution
02-21-2024 09:42 AM
johnbrosowsky
Occasional Contributor II

Hi there -

I am trying to find about HIPPA compliant geocoding in ArcGIS Online.  The website HIPAA—ArcGIS Trust Center | Documentation states:  "Esri's initial ArcGIS Online HIPAA Eligible service is specifically its geocoding service, available at geocode.arcgis.com." 

... however, there is no information about HIPPA compliant geocoding at geocode.arcgis.com. Does this mean that the Esri world geocoding service is already HIPA compliant, or that there is a different geocoding service from Esri that is compliant?  If different, how does one access it?

Thanks!

JB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EsteGeraghty
New Contributor

Hi JB,

Thanks for your question. Actually the Esri World Geocoding Service is HIPAA aligned when used in North America. By HIPAA aligned, I simply mean that there is more to HIPAA than just the technology (there are also people and process). On the technology side, the geocoding meets HIPAA criteria. 

To learn more about geocoding health data with best practices, we've put together a tutorial that will provide more information. Here is the link: https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/protect-patient-data-when-geocoding/ . 

If you need any additional information about geocoding or otherwise dealing with sensitive health data, please feel free to email me at egeraghty@esri.com. 

Best,

Este

Este Geraghty, MD, MS, MPH, GISP

Chief Medical Officer, Esri

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
EsteGeraghty
New Contributor

Hi JB,

Thanks for your question. Actually the Esri World Geocoding Service is HIPAA aligned when used in North America. By HIPAA aligned, I simply mean that there is more to HIPAA than just the technology (there are also people and process). On the technology side, the geocoding meets HIPAA criteria. 

To learn more about geocoding health data with best practices, we've put together a tutorial that will provide more information. Here is the link: https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/protect-patient-data-when-geocoding/ . 

If you need any additional information about geocoding or otherwise dealing with sensitive health data, please feel free to email me at egeraghty@esri.com. 

Best,

Este

Este Geraghty, MD, MS, MPH, GISP

Chief Medical Officer, Esri

0 Kudos