ArcGIS Online New Map Viewer Speed vs Classic Viewer Speed

03-27-2023 12:04 PM
BGEGIS
by
New Contributor

Greetings - I have been migrating some miscellaneous things from the classic mapviewer/webappbuilder to the new mapviewer and experience builder.

I notice the new map viewer takes a performance hit as soon as you start adding more than 15-20 feature layers in one map. I can even have these layers all off by default and still experience issues panning around the basemap. Overall it's slow and laggy.

In Classic, I have some county-wide maps with 100+ layers and it handles it well. I really like what the new viewer provides in grouping layers, so I wish I could migrate these maps into the new viewer.

Anyone experience this and found a fix?

13 Replies
jcokin1
New Contributor III

Did you ever get a resolution to this?.... or did ESRI help you reconfigure the webmap in such a way to improve the response and and refresh rate?

I am seeing the same thing. Huge difference between classic vs. standard map viewer. Almost night and day difference, I have some complex layers but the Classic Map viewer handles them no problem (point click move and refresh is just awesome) but if I wanted the added functionality of the standard map viewer (group layers, etc.) the refresh is just slow as molasses. No idea why. 

IvanDImitrov
New Contributor

Guys!
It is very annoying , that this very expensive software don't have even he possibility for setting exact scales for the different map scale steps- what are they- nobody knows. You don't know what is the exact scale, when you use the new Map Viewer. Why?!?
It is not possible to use WMS (not WMTS) to get cashed tiles from an external OGC Service.
The online integrated basemaps are SOO slow, missing settings for scales and so on...
I use PostGIS/PostgreSQL/Geoserver/JS to serve about 100 layers online (https://gis.starazagora.bg) and the same try on this buggy, something software is 100 time slower than this setup. And it is free.So...

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I don't have the exact same map in Classic vs New (currently, I guess I can test this) but I have noticed when creating a web application for the users with 40-50 layers in the new map viewer into an Instant App, the performance on our VDI is absolutely dismal. There's an app we have for virtually all of our data built on Classic (at least 100 layers) and it works fine for the users. When we go to upgrade this app it will be a big problem if the performance becomes this poor.

I reached out to Esri Canada Support and the response from their system architect basically said the 64-bit WebGL requires a GPU, talking with our IT this is not an option we currently have for the virtual machines (or at least not a reasonable one at this point in time). Is there more detail that can be given on that? Like min specs for the hardware, best practices for setting up the map? It also feels silly if that's the case for the intention of publicly shared maps because I have to imagine a lot of people still have not very good personal computers.

0 Kudos
Gjermund
New Contributor

We have also experienced similar issues, with a much slower map viewer compared to the classic version. After watching some performance recordings, our assumption is that the new map viewer triggers a refresh of the layer list every time the map extent changes. This might happen 50 times while panning, and for every time, the re-rendering of the layer list, might cause a 100-120ms delay if the layer list is long. This makes the panning laggy. When opening the basemap pane, everything feels much smoother, and the map still loads data while panning the map, but since the layerlist is not present in the web page, the refresh that happens goes much quicker and is no longer an issue. We have had a support ticket for this issue using our local distributor, and now it has been created as a bug in the support system. Please log in and escalate the bug, to make it a priority for Esri:  https://my.esri.com/#/support/bugs/bugs?bugNumber=BUG-000166635