ArcGIS Online Print widget PDF legend name displayed as "Override1"

04-26-2017 12:29 PM
ChennaKishore
Esri Contributor

we have created a web map and shared the map with WebApp Builder with launchpad template. we configured the print template with default values. when we print the map you can see the map in the pdf and legend you can see the correct symbols but only the item names "Override 1" "Override 2" etc is displaying.

Please see the attachment

20 Replies
davetinkle
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

I promptly opened a ticket, and I have not yet so much as even been acknowledged by a human.

To re-cap, in January 2018, you stated, "This issue is being actively worked on with the 10.6 print service", and in March 2018, you stated, "Some workarounds have been implemented in map viewer to overcome these issues for the time being, but won't be applied until the print service is upgraded. This is tentatively scheduled for the upcoming release of ArcGIS Online scheduled for April 10. "

We're getting pressure from our user community to have this fixed ASAP, but what we're getting from the ESRI side is broken promises & crickets.

Please reply back here very shortly with a timeline of when this will be fixed. If there is a work-around in the interim, please clearly convey that here on this thread, and not through private message or email or some other manner that will only benefit me, and not the community.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Hi Dave,

Would you be able to PM me with either your case number (this would be provided in the initial confirmation email when the case was first created) or your customer number so I can look up the case?  Unfortunately I don't have an answer to your technical question but I would like to follow up on your case to determine why it hasn't been responded to and make sure you get support.  

Thank you,

Alan

0 Kudos
davetinkle
New Contributor III

Hi Alan,

I'm choosing to reply here instead of PM in case others have happen to them what has now happened to me - my case got deleted! My customer number is XXXXXXXXXX, but I do not believe I used that for my ticket. If you believe the customer number to be sensitive info, please advise & i'll edit this post to remove it. I went to "Manage my Cases" and although it had a link to it, the content is no longer accessible, as if I've been "ghosted". I see there was a case opened quite a while ago relating to my issue: https://support.esri.com/bugs/nimbus/RU5ILTAwMDEwMzEyMw== [Bug ENH-000103123]

Do you think we need to start from scratch? I'm not sure how to move forward with the cutoff in communication.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Kudos
AlanRex1
Esri Contributor

Hi Dave,

That's your subscription number (but that definitely works, I've looked up your CN with that).  I honestly can't think of anything nefarious that anyone could do with your Sub ID...but in general I would say it's best not to share any identifiable information over the web, so I'd recommend you edit your post to hide that.  

Unfortunately I don't see you listed as an authorized contact for that customer number.  I'm going to get a case created for you anyway, not tied to that customer number.  You'll get an automated email when the case is created and then an analyst will reach out to you.  I don't have your phone number, so initial contact will be made over email.  

I will also be reaching out to our Technical Account Manager for your organization to see if we can determine why you're not listed in our contacts, and get you added.  

Regards,

Alan

Mehretab
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Kelly,

Is it possible to manipulate/change the print widgets item name/label using the JS API? Not about this specific "Override1" issue but generally changing the display name that appears on the print layout of the printer.

Mehretab

0 Kudos
SupakornAngaumnuaysiri1
New Contributor II

I found this problem when I need to print map contain WFS Layer. The legend print Override 1 text with the symbol of added layer.

Somebody can tell what is solution? Wait esri supporter for answer longtime.

0 Kudos
AdrianShephard
New Contributor II

This is an extremely frustrating issue.

I've spent a good few days working around the lazy SceneView implementation of printing ("printing"; it's a glorified screenshot).

After getting a 3D SceneView to send all layers, scene, and data to the print service and successfully return a pdf (like it should in the first place), I get "Override 1, Override 2" in my legend. I do some research, and find multiple threads saying this bug has existed for years, with these customers getting bug tickets lost and shuffled about, not getting any answer whatsoever.

To add, I'm using SceneView as a work around to get dynamically visible labels. So I am going on 3 workarounds deep for labels, printing, and legends.

I'm adding to this thread to indicate it is a serious issue. We pay a small fortune for Enterprise Server and a ton of other arcgis products. As a developer, I now have to explain why I can't get a legend labelled in a map if they don't want it named "Override 1", which to any reasonable person, seems like it should be such a trivial issue.

It doesn't matter if I'm passing ThisLayer[], ThatLayer[], TheCollection[], etc. A legend is a basic, fundamental mapping concept. It should just work. Look at this -> The Oldest Known Map of the World - Geography Realm It is a map with a legend and labels. It is technically more comprehensive than what my map print service gives me. It is from 500BC. it is currently 2019AD.

RayDanser
New Contributor III

Has this been resolved? This is extremely frustrating.

Tags (1)
AdrianShephard
New Contributor II

No, it has not. It just gets kicked down the "it's a known issue" road, someone tries to generate a "ticket", and it gets lost.

It's a pretty special feeling being in a meeting with a client as a software developer (not just a GIS developer) and trying to explain in non technical terms why the legend says "Override 1" when they want to print a map of THEIR data. It is such a painfully obvious bug and I just simply don't understand why it can't be fixed. It seems like such an incredibly trivial issue and it makes you feel like you're garbage at programming to a client or your boss when you try to explain it.

Thanks again for stonewalling an explanation esri :thumbsup:

RayDanser
New Contributor III

if it helps (more than likely not), I submitted a ticket for more clarification on this issue. I was told that this is a KNOWN ISSUE that should be fixed on the next release of the print service. I noticed some prior comments about there being a release "soon" but that was back in 2018. 

I was told that there is no tentative date for the update, but only that it will happen eventually. Apparently the work around is to publish directly from ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro to retain the symbology and legend definitions. 

0 Kudos