ArcGIS Online REST URL username and password problems

06-01-2016 01:36 PM
CaraMayo2
New Contributor III

I shared a map a created on my Desktop ArcGIS to ArcGIS Online and used the REST server URL to make a web app similar to this: https://developers.arcgis.com/javascript/3/jssamples/fl_hover.html. Whenever I try to access the web page, I am prompted for my ArcGIS Online username and password, but I keep getting an error message when I try to log in saying my username and password are incorrect. I know my ArcGIS Online username and password are correct. What could be the reason why they are not working here?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Are any of the services coming from you ArcGIS Serever?  and are any of the services secure?

Have you made sure it is shared with everyone?

Some places to check:

Share maps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Share maps, scenes, and apps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
CaraMayo2
New Contributor III

I'm kind of new to the web aspect of GIS so bare with me if I'm getting this wrong. I don't believe I have access to an ArcGIS Server which is why I published the map as a feature service to ArcGIS Online. Since I'm still working on the code so I would prefer not to share with everyone just yet. It seems like I should be able to log in to see what I've created so far but my user name and password are working. I will check on the secure services part. Thanks for the resources!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Here is another help doc About hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

Any of those will bring you to many resources.

Your user name should work, assuming it is at least shared with you or a group you are in.  But it's all layers of the hosted layers, maps, groups, etc.  If any of them are totally private it make be an issues.  Multiple layers.

re: the ArcGIS Server...you would know since it wold be something in your work environment.  But if you only have a free developer ArcGIS online, there may be other limitations too.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Cara,

What type of authentication is your App using? Oauth or generating a token?

Usernames are not case sensitive when using Oauth, but are when generating a token or submitting username and password directly to the Rest API. I would suggest checking the case of your username in ArcGIS Online, by clicking on your name in the top screen. If you verify that the case is the same as you have been using, you may want to contact technical support or share the app url here on geonet.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
CaraMayo2
New Contributor III

I'm not sure which one we are using, but I haven't registered the app for anything so I believe it's token? How would I know? I checked my username for case sensitivity and there are no differences. Thanks for the info! I think I will contact tech support.

0 Kudos