ArcGIS Online scale-dependent labels

07-31-2014 01:42 PM
TychoGranville
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way to display a scale ratio instead of bar in AGOL?

I published a service (from ArcServer 10.1) from an MXD with labels that turn on and off at different scales. They look fine in my MXD but don't quite do what I want in the AGOL map viewer.  If AGOL displayed the scale as a ratio it’d be easy to re-set the MXD values and republish. With just the scale bar it’ll take several iterations of random tweaking and publishing until I get what I need.

Thanks,

Tycho

4 Replies
RiyasDeen
Occasional Contributor III

Go to Details -> Show Contents of map and view description of your base map.

Look for map contents, which is actually a rest map service end point

Open the rest end point, and look for level details that's where you'll find your scale ratio.Untitled.png

0 Kudos
Aurelija_RutaViluckyte
New Contributor III

I am not sure if this was what he asked for. I am also having a similar problem. I set my labels on one layer with different label classes (on ArcGIS Pro) so that they show up in different zoom scales (i used my own basemap, which has all the needed scales integrated in it), however, once I upload it onto ArcGIS Online, all label classes are lost and the only option is to show all layer labels at once, and this is a limitation that I am not happy about. 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you unable to set the label visible range in the web map after it is published?

ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
Aurelija_RutaViluckyte
New Contributor III

No, this is not what I was writing about.  I am losing the label classes on ArcGIS Online which I created on ArcGIS Pro and inside them I set different visibility scales for zooming in and out. To make it easier to understand : you have a country map, which is set to "Home" extent. You see a name of your country. Once you zoom in, some more detailed labels appear, such as county names. You zoom in even more, the municipality labels would appear. That's what I did for my map in ArcGIS Pro using the label classes with Arcade expressions and distinct visibility zooms for each. But it is lost once I share the layer as web layer to ArcGIS Online. It just gives me the only option to show all labels at all zoom levels. 

0 Kudos