Arcgis Pro Attribute rule Arcade expression

01-28-2020 08:19 AM
AliaaOssama
New Contributor

The customer was use geometric network to maintain connectivity between line and point , and in arcgis pro there is no geometric network and we can not use utility network because the customer not have Arcgis Enterprise , according to that , we must handle connectivity issues by used attribute rule with Arcad expression.
**in other words , we need when move any line also move the lines connected by it and move point intersect with it , same behavior as geometric network**

0 Kudos
9 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Aliaa.Ossamaesrinea-esridist ,

If you have a smaller client that does not have the need for multiple users editing the same Utility Network, from versión 2.5 of ArcGIS Pro you can create and use the Utility Network in a File Geodatabase. See the video on what's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.5 at minute: 19:03.

0 Kudos
AliaaOssama
New Contributor

Unfortunately, the customer use Enterprise database , and them need use arcgis Pro instead of  ArcMap  with the benefit of functions ArcMap.

0 Kudos
AliaaOssama
New Contributor

Can attribute rule help us to create this connectivity ? , in other word , can set rules in attribute rules to doing behavior as geometric network

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi Aliaa Ossama ,

Arcade is not designed to replace the Geometric or Utility Network behavior. Some things might be doable, but this is not the way to go. What type of client is it? Utility (gas, electric, telco) or water utilities? If so, how many service points do they have? What type of license is used for the EGDB? What version are you working with? 

0 Kudos
AliaaOssama
New Contributor

Yes i know , but i search about work around to solve this issues ,a client is water company in my province , they use Arcgis pro 2.4 ,  have a lot of data ,I conclude from your answer that this cannot be done by attribute rule , that's right ?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi Aliaa Ossama ,

So, in short, Arcade expressions will not solve this particular challenge. 

If the company manages a large number of clients, they will be able to benefit from an Enterprise implementation and the solutions that are available currently. For instance using this solution bundle: Water Outage Solutions | Increase Productivity & Decrease Operational Costs  

I would like to include Jonas Rugys‌ in this discussion, since I am sure he will be able to provide you with better advise on what the best way format could be.

0 Kudos
AliaaOssama
New Contributor

Hi Xander ,

Water Outage Solutions | Increase Productivity & Decrease Operational Costs  

Is this solution can solve issues i explain in previous?
I need any solution far away Arcgis Enterprise (Portal for GIS and Arc Server ), because a client  does not want have it

0 Kudos
JonasRugys
Esri Contributor

Hi Aliaa Ossama‌ and Xander Bakker‌,

That's correct that Arcade expressions/attribute rules cannot be used to model network connectivity between assets in the desktop editing environment. 

Many water utilities that have migrated to ArcGIS Pro, still use ArcMap to make edits to the geometric network, as they plan to migrate to complete web-based utility network management.  As Xander mentioned, there are many important benefits and water industry specific solutions that can be leveraged in ArcGIS Enterprise.

Have any planning activities been done with this client in regards to utility network management? 

AliaaOssama
New Contributor

HI Jonas ;

Thanks for your reply

about this question (Have any planning activities been done with this client in regards to utility network management?)

No, i study how can replace Arcmap by ArcPro, and how can solve challenges may be encounter it during implementation, And what are the best ways to solve problems according to the capabilities of the customer

0 Kudos