ArcMap Symbols not displaying in ArcGis Online Map correctly

11-09-2012 03:54 AM
KristenJones1
New Contributor III
We just published our first ArcGis Feature service and I am noticing that there are some layer symbology that is not displaying correctly in the ArcGis.com map.  When viewing the REST directly from our ArcGIS server the colors, line thickness etc.. are all right, however when I pull the service into an ArcGIS online map some of the colors go to black on some layers and some labels are not showing, The symbology is not custom, it was defined in ArcMap.

I attached the screen shots of the REST service with the issue of the colors and the ArcGis.com map... any ideas?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19174[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
MichaelSemenek
New Contributor III
How are you pulling the service into an ArcGIS Online web map? Are you pulling in individual layers from the map service (or) are you pulling in the entire map service into your web map?

I have noticed a similar issue if I use the �??Add \ Add Layer from Web�?� - Select �??An ArcGIS Web Service�?� Then specify the URL which points to a rest service MapServer/# or ID Number. When the MapServer/# or individual layer is added into an ArcGIS online web map the symbols do not show up properly.

If I use the �??Add \ Search for Layers�?� and select - In: �??A GIS Server�?� and type in the URL for our rest services�?�. Then select a service - The layers and\or line symbols show up properly. Granted I am pulling in the entire service instead of one individual layer from the service.

Two options:
1. Change the symbols after you pull in the individual MapServer/#s. In the ArcGIS online web map click on button �??Show contents of Map�?�. Click on the gray arrow to the right of the map service layer you added - Scroll down and click on �??Change Symbols�?�. Then change the colors, line thicknesses etc.
2. Try adding in the service using the search for layers in a GIS server, type in http://<your-server>/arcgis/rest/service then select\add in the service. See if your service layer symbols show up properly.

Hopefully the ESRI ArcGIS Online programming staff will look into this symbol issue. Not sure if this is bug.

Hope this helps you out.......