Broken links from ArcOnline Map Pop-ups

03-07-2012 07:01 AM
NickVoss
New Contributor
Hello,

I am having trouble inserting links into feature point pop-ups. I configured the Pop-up so that there is a space for a link. In the "edit" feature of the pop-up, I am copy/pasting a URL link of an image that I have uploaded onto Picasa or Facebook. The trouble is, when I close the edited pop-up and go to try and open the link from the pop-up, it is appearing as broken or "not found" through both google and facebook attempts.

I created another map prior to this attempt. Here, the links were all copied from picasa and inserted into the pop-ups.
As you see, they work. I have never had any problems on this map with the links so I don't think the problem is from the host site's URLs.
http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=e22d5ae62b774c14b1e483dcec5f4f1e&extent=-93.280...

For the map I'm having troubles with, have tried starting over on an entire new map, tried making the images smaller, tried different "folders" of online uploads, but nothing seems to work.

Previous threads have included codes and script, which I know nothing about. I'm hoping a solution can avoid being that in depth.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you making the second map the same way and expecting the same behavior? Perhaps you can share the link to the second map.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
NickVoss
New Contributor
Hi Mike,

Yeah, I'm doing the same process and expecting the same result.

Here's the link to the second map:
http://bit.ly/wyn0KZ

Because the links weren't working, I took most of the URLs out. I only have one pop up with a URL: It's the bottom left most point, on 340 Roslyn Pl, south of the lake.

Thanks,
Nick
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The field width of the link field is 50 characters. So the URL is getting truncated. That's why it doesn't work. I'm guessing that when you added the data to the map, the width of the Link field at that time determined it's width.

Mike
0 Kudos
NickVoss
New Contributor
Oh I see. I changed the configuration to "rich text" for that row in the pop up and had many more options to choose from.
Thanks!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Have you thought about adding the image directly to the popup, then linking the image in the popup to the full image? Under the Popup Media section, you can add an image and use the field that contains the URL to the image. For example, if your field is called photo, you'd enter the URL to it like this:

{photo}

where the curly braces indicate the field name and the field value will be substituted.

Mike
0 Kudos