Buffering one feature in ArcGIS Online.

08-03-2018 12:01 PM
CatherineBradley
New Contributor III

Hello all:  I am trying to create a Dashboard for emergency management practices.  I have a map in ArcGIS Online that I am using to create the Dashboard.  My goal is to have a gauge in the dashboard showing the percentage of closed roads.  My thought is to create a buffer around 1 street segment  that has had a fictitious 18 wheeler accident.  I want to select all the streets in a 1, 2 & 3 mile buffer from that accident site and mark them as "CLOSED".   Marking the streets as "CLOSED" will then show a percentage on my gauge in the dashboard.  However,  I cannot figure out how to buffer only that 1 street segment. 

Another thing I cannot figure out how to select more than 1 features for editing in ArcGIS Online.  In ArcMap, we have that wonderful Select Features tool , but it seems one has to select from the attribute table and run a mass calculation on a field instead of selecting the features from the map and then calculate. Is this Select Features option available in AGOL?  Thank you in advance.   Catherine Bradley

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Catherine,

> I cannot figure out how to buffer only that 1 street segment

You can apply a filter on the roads layer, so it only displays the 1 street segment, then run the buffer tool on the filtered layer

> how to select more than 1 features for editing in ArcGIS Online

Perhaps the Batch Attribute Editor widget, which is found in Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS might meet your needs?

Batch Attribute Editor widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
CatherineBradley
New Contributor III

Derek, thank you for your reply.  I don't think the Batch Attribute Editor widget will work in an AGOL map.  My goal is to select all roads in a 3 mile buffer from a "crash" and mark them as CLOSED.  I ran a Find Existing Locations analysis where the a selection of roads is being taken "completely within" my 3 mile buffer layer.  Yes, I got a layer of road within the 3 mile buffer, but I want to put the road closures into a gauge in my dashboard.  If I use the newly created layer from the Find Existing Locations analysis, the gauge will read 100% (which is true).  But I want the % of roads closed to be taken from the entire roads layer.  My initial thought was to use the newly created roads layer and the total roads layer & do a JOIN or a SELECT BY LOCATION where the roads are coincident & extract those roads to mark them as CLOSED.  Alas, all the Analysis tools create new layers, which is not what I want.  How can I select roads from my total road layer that are within my 3 mile buffer?  Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Catherine,

Apologies for the late reply. I missed the notification that this thread was updated.

> I don't think the Batch Attribute Editor widget will work in an AGOL map.

You can save your web map, then share > create a new web app > Web AppBuilder. In Web AppBuilder, you can leverage the Batch Attribute Editor widget to work with data in your AGOL web map.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

GreetingsDerek Law‌ I am looking at using a web map and analysis tools to teach a brief class on GIS in K12. I had a somewhat related question...

I was expecting if I graphically selected a single street segment, it would buffer just that segment. It buffers them all. So, I then went into the Attribute Table, and clicked the one record, then clicked Show Selected Records. Only that one row then displayed in the Attribute table, out of 8. OK great, so now I thought... it will just buffer that one segment. However, it still does them all. 

As you suggest, I then used the Filter to show the segment by a unique ID they each have. That worked perfectly. So, select by attribute works fine.

But I was expecting geoprocessing tools to execute ONLY on selected records, just like how they do in ArcMap. Select by location / graphically selecting with mouse is often quicker than via attribute SQL query.  Am I missing some sort of option to execute the GP Analysis tools only on 'selected records' somewhere? I looked around and did not see anything to that effect.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Kevin,

Apologies for the late reply. I was out on business travel in recent weeks and I am catching up on emails.

> But I was expecting geoprocessing tools to execute ONLY on selected records, just like how they do in ArcMap. Select by location / graphically selecting with mouse is often quicker than via attribute SQL query. 

The behavior of the geoprocessing tools in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer is different than in ArcMap. I agree that graphically selecting with the mouse is a nicer user experience over applying a filter. Unfortunately this is not a supported workflow in the Map Viewer at this time. Sorry.

Please submit an enhancement request on the ArcGIS Ideas site.

Hope this helps,