Bug in edit tracking fields for feature service?

Jump to solution
01-22-2014 08:16 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: gyetman

Hi,

I published a feature service based on a point feature class in a File Geodatabase from Desktop 10.2. The feature class has both range and coded value domains. I enabled editing with the option to update feature attributes only, and enabled the Track edits option. When I update a feature it appears that the information is tracked but access to it is inconsistent. In the web map, the pop up shows "Edited by [username] seconds ago", or xx minutes, depending on the delay before I check. My username is shown in the 'Editor' field, and the correct date is shown in the EditDate field but no time is displayed. If I open the attribute table in the web map, the date and my user name is displayed, but the time is not shown. If I add the feature service to ArcMap, the attribute table (and identify results) do not show my username in the Editor field (it is blank), and no date is shown in the EditDate field. All of the EditDate field values are the same: 12:00:00 AM.

I tested updating the features from the generic AGOL web viewer, Desktop (10.2), and Collector. All three show the same behaviour.

I've attached screenshots of the same record as shown in the pop-up, Desktop attribute table, and web attribute table.

I need to display the user, date and time in Desktop, or at least in the web map attribute table, to meet app requirements. Is there any method to do so?

Greg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: scooter303

Greetings,

I???ve had the same problem myself.  There is a solution.  When publishing a feature service from a fgdb you do not need to enable the editor tracking option on the data here.  Once you publish your service, enable the Track Edits in your services in the Items details.  This will let AGOL created the createddate, creator, editor, and edit date fields.  Next you need to configure the popup for your service so that you can have the timestamp along with your date.  Choose the configure attributes option.  It will display the list of fields in your feature service.  You can set the order, whether a field can be edited or not and the format for date fields.  See attachment screenshot.  Once you have SAVED  your popup, you will be able to view the table and see all the attributes as you configured them.  As for as pulling this service into ArcMap and seeing the Track Edit fields there, it does not work properly in 10.2.  If you can upgrade to 10.2.1 it works like it should pulling all the Track Edit fields into the table view.

Hope this helps

John

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kmcclement

Greg, did you happen to find anything in regard to this issue? I'm coming across a similar problem. I have five feature classes that are user editable within AGOL. Before publishing them, I enabled Track Edits and Desktop appended the attribute fields properly. I published them and the fields are greyed out but do not populate with the time/date/user stamps I was expecting. Very important for us as well.

Cheers,

Kevin
0 Kudos
GregYetman
Occasional Contributor
Hi Kevin,

I haven't found anything yet. One think you may want to try is allowing AGOL to add the fields; that is, publish a service using a feature class without the CreationDate, Creator, EditDate, and Editor fields appended. AGOL should add them automatically--that's what happened when I published.

cheers,

Greg
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: scooter303

Greetings,

I???ve had the same problem myself.  There is a solution.  When publishing a feature service from a fgdb you do not need to enable the editor tracking option on the data here.  Once you publish your service, enable the Track Edits in your services in the Items details.  This will let AGOL created the createddate, creator, editor, and edit date fields.  Next you need to configure the popup for your service so that you can have the timestamp along with your date.  Choose the configure attributes option.  It will display the list of fields in your feature service.  You can set the order, whether a field can be edited or not and the format for date fields.  See attachment screenshot.  Once you have SAVED  your popup, you will be able to view the table and see all the attributes as you configured them.  As for as pulling this service into ArcMap and seeing the Track Edit fields there, it does not work properly in 10.2.  If you can upgrade to 10.2.1 it works like it should pulling all the Track Edit fields into the table view.

Hope this helps

John
0 Kudos
GregYetman
Occasional Contributor
Thanks John, upgrading to 10.2.1 solved the problem, I can now see and use the Editor and EditDate fields.
0 Kudos