Can multiple tile packages be used to create a single hosted tile layer?

09-06-2022 08:18 AM
MikeSchonlau
Occasional Contributor III

Does anyone know if I can combine multiple tile packages into a single hosted tile layer? My tile cache is larger than 500 Gb (ArcGIS Online upload limit) when exported to a tile package (.tpkx), so I tried exporting specific scales to multiple tile packages. Can they be "re-assembled" after I share them to ArcGIS Online?

Thanks, Mike

8 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello Mike,

I haven't used tile packages much.  Do you have access to publish directly to the server?  Just as an idea, try using the raster datasets you cached for the tile packages and set them at different scales inside ArcMap or ArcPro and then publish that as a map service or hosted feature service in AGOL?

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
MikeSchonlau

Thanks, Amanda. I am not working with ArcGIS Server here. I am only working currently with ArcGIS Online in this instance. Raster tile caches are far too large (too many files) to publish directly to AGO. That is one of the functions of the tile package format. That format bundles the large volume of tile cache tiles for better transport. I'm just hoping there is a way to split them up before and after to get around AGO's file size upload limit (500 Gb).

0 Kudos
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

I don't know much about re-merging them after splitting them, but have you tried sectioning and scaling them using the manage tile cache tool?  Then use those raster datasets to create individual tile packages?   Maybe if you have a map index available, you can use the index as a guide on sectioning. 

Amanda Bishop, GISP
0 Kudos
MikeSchonlau

Unfortunately, that workflow still doesn't answer the question on whether I can re-merge them later. My tiles will be added to the ESRI World Imagery service later this month. I may just need to wait for that update.

MikeSchonlau

I'm now using ArcGIS Pro 3.1 and I see they've added the "Create Multiple Packages" option to the Create Map Tile Package gp tool. The documentation on this isn't too detailed. Is the idea that I would publish these multiple packages as individual hosted tile services and combine all of those tile services into one map or is there a way to bring these multiple tile pacakages back together into a single hosted tile cache?

I successfully created some sample tile pacakages using this new Create Multiple Packages option and shared them both with AGO. I haven't found a way yet to combine them back into a single hosted tile cache though. When I bring them both into an AGO map, the order of the tile caches is important to remember or you risk displaying small scale tiles over larger scale tiles.

If anyone knows more about how these "multiple packages" are intended to wrok, I'd like to know. Thanks for your feedback.

AnneTetley
Occasional Contributor

I also have this question, I was struggling to build a tile package from a huge 5cm Aerial survey.  The new "multiple package" option seems to have solved the build issue but now I have 14 TPKX files and I'm not sure of the best way to work with them in AGOL.  The ESRI documentation doesn't seem to have an answer for this currently.  Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
MikeSchonlau

I spoke with @GarimaTiwari  from ESRI at the UC about this. She said to follow these steps:

• Upload the 1st tile package
  • Publish it
  • Upload the other packages
  • Use the REST API Import Tiles operation to import those other pacakages into the first published service

I'm hoping to try this soon, but if you beat me to it, please let me know how it goes.

AnneTetley
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for this Mike, I've used this method with our 14 TPKs for a single LOD and its worked perfectly.  

I haven't tried adding in other TPKs for different LODs.  I assume that would work but I'm leaving it as is for now as we only have two LODs, so two tile layers and thats working well for us, but I'd be interested to hear if someone successfully merged two LODS in the same service.

0 Kudos