Can't enable pop-ups on this layer in a map

05-12-2011 11:00 AM
MikeGregotski
Esri Contributor
Hi,

I have a map service that I use in several Web maps. The map service only contains one layer.   In those Web maps I have configured pop-ups on the layer.  For some reason I can no longer go to Configure pop-ups on those maps.  The pop-ups still work but I do not have the Configure Pop-up option available to me anymore.

As a test I added the map service to a new blank Web map.  When I did this, I did not have the option to select Enable Pop-up or Configure Pop-up.  Take a look at the Web map if you would like to see the problem: http://bit.ly/iE4oJf

Other map services from my server that I make Web maps out of don't have this problem.

Does anyone know why I have lost the ability to use Pop-ups on this map service?

Thanks,
Mike
Tags (2)
3 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I am able to configure popups on your map.

• What browser and version are you using?

• You are accessing the context menu on the Results sub-layer inside the service, right? You say the options are missing from the menu, so you might be clicking on the wrong layer. You have to click the sub-layer inside the service.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeGregotski
Esri Contributor
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. I figured out the problem, and corrected it yesterday evening.  I meant to reply to the post.

The problem was I had hidden the SHAPE field in ArcMap.  When I made the field visible, refreshed the service and cleared the REST cache I was then able to engage the pop-ups. 

It looks like the SHAPE field is needed to be visible for the ArcGIS.com Viewer and ArcGIS Explorer Online if you want to work with attributes.  I had another problem with results being returned by Queries in ArcGIS Explorer Online.  Without the SHAPE field I could not zoom to the results of the Query.  With the SHAPE field I could zoom to the results.

Either way, everything is working fine now.

Thanks again,
Mike
0 Kudos
JessicaKirby
New Contributor III
Thanks for this post, it's old but just solved my problem. I was unable to save my ArcGIS online map if I had the popup enabled on my feature class layers.  I too had the shape field turned off in my Feature class in the mxd.  After turning on the shape field, saving, republishing and refreshing the cache, presto!!! The map can now be saved with pop-ups enabled!
0 Kudos