Can't publish service to ArcGIS Online

08-02-2012 11:51 AM
AimeiChen
Occasional Contributor
Hi, there
I tried to publish map service with one feature class to ArcGIS online but failed. The error message says "packaging succeeded, but publishing failed." Failed to execute (uploadServiceDefinition). Can someone help me if you have experience on this.

Thanks,
Amy
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
65 Replies
ThomasIsraelsen
New Contributor III
@Andrew

Publishing two times did not help. Both failed.

Thomas
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Thomas: At this point I would contact technical support to take a deeper look and identify what the problem is.

Thank you,
Andrew
0 Kudos
ThomasIsraelsen
New Contributor III
OK. I will contact Support.

FYI: I tried ArcGIS 10.2.1. Makes no difference, I get the same error in Server Side Post-processing.

Thomas
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks Thomas... it looks like there could be something specific to the configuration, data, or organization we need to look at.
0 Kudos
KC
by
Occasional Contributor
I was able to publish the tutorial feature service yesterday if I changed the name slightly, but I want to use the original name mentioned in the tutorial.  However, when I do, I get a Service Publishing Result error:  Packaging succeeded, but publishing failed.  A feature service named 'LA_County_Toxics_Release_Inventory' already exists....

I tried deleting items in https://mysite.maps.arcgis.com/home/content.html, and removing the draft service in My Hosted Services in ArcCatalog, but I still get this error.  Where do I go to delete this feature service so I can recreate it again?

I tried the "Overwrite an existing service" option when doing Share as Service, but no services are listed at all when I get to the next step in that wizard...

Thank you
0 Kudos
HarshalGharat
New Contributor III

Hi Kirstin,

I am too facing the same problem. Did you find a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
Lars_ElmkærChwastek
Occasional Contributor
Hi everyone

I have had succes publishing feature services with standard ESRI symbology.

I have had succes publishing map services via a server with customized symbology.

However when I try to publish a feature service to ArcGIS Online, with a customized symbology it fails with the same error as mentioned in the earlier posts.

I have found the following error desciption and was wondering, if this is the reason why so many have troubles publishing feature services??:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//00sq00000088000000

I have been able to reproduce this with both 10.1 and 10.2.1.

Any thoughts?

Regards,
Lars Elmkær Chwastek
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Lars,

Are seeing the error message you reference?
What kind of custom symbols do you have? Here's a topic that describes what types of symbols are supported in feature services:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Authoring_feature_services/0154000003nt000...

Most symbol types can be used with a feature service; however, in some cases, the symbols may be downgraded.

For line layers, simple line symbols are supported. If other symbols are used, the feature service converts them to a simple line symbol that best represents the original symbol. For example, a cartographic line symbol in the map document may be drawn as a simple solid line in a feature service client. If a line symbol is complex or has multiple layers, the feature service downgrades the line to best represent the original line symbol.

For polygon layers, simple fill and picture fill symbols are supported. If other symbols are used, the feature service downgrades them to simple fill symbols. For multilayer fill symbols, the feature service only considers the top layer. Also, a fill symbol's outline symbol has the same level of support as described for line layers above.

For point layers, simple marker and picture marker symbols are supported. If other symbols are used, the feature service downgrades them to picture marker symbols. Multilayer marker symbols are also downgraded to picture marker symbols where the layers are merged into a single layer. Mask properties, where a halo can be set for a marker symbol, are not supported.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
Lars_Kristian_EngelsbyHansen
New Contributor III
Hey Mike.

The content are street signs styled through a .style file. The attributes �??kategori�?� and �??subtype1�?� are dictated from domainvalues. It contains 150 different streetsigns.

When I try to publish it, I get an error, and in messages I get 999999 : Error executing function.:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32069[/ATTACH]

I have tried to publish it on multiple machines, with versions of arcmap, with multiple users and multiple organizations. Without any luck.

I have tried to publish it without the styling �?? and it worked. 

If any one would like to have a closer look at the error, feel free to download the attached zip .mxd, the file geodatabase and the .style file. It may be necessary to set up the .style file to the feature class. Here is how to do it:

1.       Go to Layerproperties -> Symbology
2.       Choose Categories -> Match to symbols in a style
3.       Browse the .style file in the attached .zip. The file is called �??Transportation_DK.style�?�
4.       Set Value field to �??Kategori�?�
5.       Click �??Match symbols�?�

The symbols should now be shown.

As mentioned, I feel that I have tried all possible solutions, with no luck. Please let me know if I can supply you with any other informations.
0 Kudos
nanzhang
New Contributor
Hi everyone

I got the same problem every time when publishing a feature service from desktop to Portal or AGOL.

But I got a way to avoid the error , that is keeping the fiddler running when publishing the service,then the service will be published succeded.

I don't know the reason,but it worked. Does the fiddler proxy has effect with the request or response of the publishing?

nan zhang.
0 Kudos