Can't Save Maps in ArcGIS Online Personal Acct

04-16-2012 09:34 AM
BrianHaren
Occasional Contributor
Well, I came in to work this morning to find that all the pop-ups set for our services no longer worked, AGOL will not let me save new pop-up settings to the service definitions and and I can no longer save web maps.  I am logged into this account using the account admin credentials. 

This is the first time this has happened.  Does anyone have any possible explanations and ways to address the issue?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Are you using a "free" account or are you using an account associated with the beta version of ArcGIS Online for Organizations?

First, I'd suggest clearing your browser cache aggressively, meaning completely clear cookies, temporary files, offline content. Some browsers allow you to specify a time period for clearing. Make sure you specify everything.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
BrianHaren
Occasional Contributor
Mike,

No luck.  This is a personal account that we use to support our organization and it holds a number of links back to map services hosted on a local instance of ArcGIS Server 10.0.

I've flushed the browser cache in both IE8 and Google Chrome, and the problem persists.  I just restructured all the pop-ups for one service and selected 'Upload Properties to Service'.  However, the changes don't stick and I can't save the map.  Something seems to not be connecting back to AGOL.

Any more ideas?  Something going on at the server level with AGOL?

Brian
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Brian,

I'm not sure what's going on. I can save the popup on my map back to a service without problem.

In Chrome, can you open the developer tools?
Get to the point where you want to save the popup properties back to the service item. Then click the Wrench>Tools>Developer Tools in Chrome. Then go ahead and attempt to save the properties.

In the developer tools window, lower left corner, you might see a red circle with an X in it. Double click this to see the errors. Then tell me what you see.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
BrianHaren
Occasional Contributor
Mike,

I think I've isolated the issue, and it's a behavior in AGOL I've never run up against before.

The applications we are showcasing were all built using the AGOL simple map viewer.  While we much prefer Explorer Online, not all of our clients have, or can have, Silverlight installed on their desktops.

Regardless of which interface was used to create the app my personal preference for making any changes to the apps is Explorer Online - it is simply a better interface.  What I finally figured out yesterday is that if the app was created using the simple map viewer you can not make changes to the app in the Silverlight environment and save the map under it's original name.  That was accounting for the map save errors I was getting.  This behavior issue seems to also extend to the issue of changing and saving pop-up configurations; I can't save pop-up changes made in the Explorer Online environment but the changes seem to 'stick' if made in the simple map viewer environment.  It all comes down to how the map was originally authored.

I do not know why I've never run across this before - I've created dozens and dozens of apps in both the AGOL Personal and Onlne beta environments.

So now I'm back to making configuration changes directly in the simple map viewer environment.

I think my experience argues loudly for a single web app interface within AGOL; maintaining two different viewing environments can lead to misunderstanding and lost production and development time.

Brian
0 Kudos