Can you stop and start rest services published to ArcGIS online?

Jump to solution
06-11-2015 02:57 PM
SusanMordy1
New Contributor II

Can you stop and start rest services published to ArcGIS online?

i know this is possible when ArcGIS Server is installed locally. I am just wondering, when you publish map services to your AGOL subscription account, how can you stop and start a map service?

Thanks,

Susan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Susan,

Unfortunately, you will not have the ability to start/stop an ArcGIS Online service.  What is it that you are trying to accomplish?  There may be another solution.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Susan,

Unfortunately, you will not have the ability to start/stop an ArcGIS Online service.  What is it that you are trying to accomplish?  There may be another solution.

0 Kudos
SusanMordy1
New Contributor II

I am trying to edit underlying source data of map service. I understand you can't do this is you have a map service running. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

If you are working with an ArcGIS Online Hosted Service, you will be able to edit the source data schema and features with no problem.  With a Hosted Service, a copy of the data is uploaded to ArcGIS Online, so it is independent of the data you have locally.  Once you update the source data, you will need to overwrite the hosted service.

You can still update the source data schema with an ArcGIS Server service as well.  In order to do this you will need to set the schemaLockingEnabled parameter to False in the service properties.  Take a look at the following help link on how to do so:

Disabling schema locking on a map service—Documentation (10.3 and 10.3.1) | ArcGIS for Server

SusanMordy1
New Contributor II

Thanks Jake. This is very helpful.

You mention "With a Hosted Service, a copy of the data is uploaded to ArcGIS Online, so it is independent of the data you have locally"

So if a user adds new data from the Collector app, how do I view this information in the underlying source enterprise geodatabase? I noticed when I sync, the records that were collected in the field do not appear in my enterprise geodatabase (they appear in AGOL web map).

How can I view the records generated using the Collector app in our enterprise geodatabase?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You will need to publish the data to an ArcGIS Server instance as a Feature Service.  The ArcGIS Server services would need to be public facing, meaning you can access the services outside of your network. 

You can then add the service to your web map, and update this service with Collector.

0 Kudos
SusanMordy1
New Contributor II

Hi Jake,

Are you saying in order to view the records collected in the Collector app  back in the source enterprise geodatabase, I cannot use my organization's ArcGIS Online Hosted Service to publish as a feature service, but rather I need to publish to ArcGIS server directly?

If you can clarify that would be great.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Hi Susan,

Yes, if you want to be able to view those edits instantaneously in your enterprise geodatabase.

0 Kudos
SusanMordy1
New Contributor II

Good to know. If we go the AGOL hosted route for publishing feature services, what would be the best way to import the information collected back to the enterprise database?

Thanks very much for your help.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

You can export the hosted feature service to a File Geodatabase.  See the section 'Export from hosted feature layer' in the following link:

Manage hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

If you are not performing any edits locally, you can then execute the Truncate Table tool, followed by the Append tool.  If you are performing edits locally, I would recommend looking at the Feature Compare tool to compare which features need to be updated/deleted/added.

0 Kudos