change layer drawing order w/o changing layer order in web map?

03-18-2024 11:21 AM
Labels (3)
JasonFitzsimmons
Occasional Contributor

I have a Map Viewer web map using a single feature service containing layers published from Pro. This is used in a Web AppBuilder viewer.

Is there any way, in Pro or in the web map, that I can change the drawing order without rearranging the order in the Pro document / web map?

The clients like to have their most important layers at the top of the table of contents, but this doesn't always align with drawing or der, since this service have point, line and polygon layers.

6 Replies
bbollin
Esri Contributor

Hi @JasonFitzsimmons  you should be able to change the feature display order by following the documentation here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/set-feature-display-order.htm

0 Kudos
JasonFitzsimmons
Occasional Contributor

sorry but this should not be marked as a solution. 

As I said in post, I am not referring to individual features within a single layer, I am talking about the drawing order of each layer as compared to the other layers in the same web map / Pro document. My hope is to do this without re arranging the order in the layer list aka table of contents in Pro doc...since the clients priority of layers isn't the same as layer drawing order (mainly related to points vs lines vs polygons) 

0 Kudos
JasonFitzsimmons
Occasional Contributor

hi @bbollin do you have any other insights on this?
seems to me this is a pretty straightforward ask, I would imagine others have encountered this issue before? 

thanks, Jason

0 Kudos
bbollin
Esri Contributor

Hi @JasonFitzsimmons, thanks for clarifying. I checked on this and unfortunately it is not possible to have the display order of the layers different than the layer list. We only have the drawing order option per layer with the features within it

0 Kudos
JasonFitzsimmons
Occasional Contributor

I see, thanks for response.

I do think this would be a useful feature, since, as i mentioned, the priority order in the TOC doesn't necessarily correspond with the drawing order, especially in feature services with multiple layers using different geometry types. It could be a setting similar to layer ID.

0 Kudos
bbollin
Esri Contributor

@JasonFitzsimmons, feel free to post your idea on https://community.esri.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/arcgis-ideas! The more upvotes a post gets the higher up on our consideration list it goes 🙂