citizen service request save address or location in request

Jump to solution
08-04-2016 12:27 PM
TamiMaddio
New Contributor III

I'm trying to implement the Citizen Service Request template for our city to use to log incoming calls.  At the ESRI UC the Local Government team said that you can now save the address in the request when a user types in the address with the locator.  I'm not seeing this functionality.  Is this in a future version or am I just missing something?  In addition to this or as an alternative, it would be nice to be able to save the XY for the location as well.

I know that I can have the user put an address into a field, but what won't happen is the typed in address doesn't get located on the map unless you re-type it into the locator and typing it into the locator doesn't save the address.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AllisonMuise1
Occasional Contributor III

Tami Maddio

Yes! This is possible as of the version of Reporter release in July 2016.

You will need a fairly large string field in your dataset(s) to store the value - I recommend 100 chars. If you will be storing the value in multiple layers in the same Reporter app the location-storing field must all have the same, case-sensitive name in all layers.

In the application configuration, on the Form Settings tab, specify that field name in the parameter that starts with 'Optionally, store a text form of the report location.'

Save the configuration and go submit a new report! The application will use the following logic to decide what to write to that field:

For point layers, the app will first attempt to store a search location. If the search is not used or if a new location is selected on the map the app will attempt to find an address for the report location. If no address is found, the coordinates of the location will be stored. For line and polygon features, the app will attempt the same reverse-geocode or coordinate-storing workflow using the first vertex of the drawn location.

See the Crowdsource Reporter help for more information about configuring this app: Crowdsource Reporter | ArcGIS for Local Government

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AllisonMuise1

Tami Maddio

Yes! This is possible as of the version of Reporter release in July 2016.

You will need a fairly large string field in your dataset(s) to store the value - I recommend 100 chars. If you will be storing the value in multiple layers in the same Reporter app the location-storing field must all have the same, case-sensitive name in all layers.

In the application configuration, on the Form Settings tab, specify that field name in the parameter that starts with 'Optionally, store a text form of the report location.'

Save the configuration and go submit a new report! The application will use the following logic to decide what to write to that field:

For point layers, the app will first attempt to store a search location. If the search is not used or if a new location is selected on the map the app will attempt to find an address for the report location. If no address is found, the coordinates of the location will be stored. For line and polygon features, the app will attempt the same reverse-geocode or coordinate-storing workflow using the first vertex of the drawn location.

See the Crowdsource Reporter help for more information about configuring this app: Crowdsource Reporter | ArcGIS for Local Government

TamiMaddio
New Contributor III

Thanks Allison.  I must have missed this in the documentation first go around.  This did work for me.  Now if I could get the app to generate a unique request ID other than Object ID or Global ID .  That would be so incredibly useful.

AllisonMuise1

I know, right! I'm working on a way to do this with GeoEvent. It's a bit of a sledgehammer for a thumbtack of a solution, but right now it's the only way I can think to do this and keep the id format configurable to every layer in every map. If you've already got GeoEvent in place, it might be worth playing with too.

0 Kudos
TamiMaddio
New Contributor III

Also, is there a way to print out a request using a defined template?

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Not really. You can control the format of how the request is displayed in Crowdsource Manager using a custom popup configuration, but there isn't a Print button as part of the app.

0 Kudos
LizDaRos
Occasional Contributor

Being able to automatically add the address is a great addition to this application, thank you!! But I'm not sure if the process you described to populate the address field is working for me. I can't seem to get the second attempt to populate the field - where the user clicks on the map to get a location (reverse geocode). Is anyone else having this trouble? My app is able to store the searched location but does not update/populate once I click around on the map.

Thanks,
Liz

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Lizd711‌ : I've tried to reproduce this behavior and it seems to be working for me. Could you contact Support to see if they can track down the source of this issue?

0 Kudos