Colorized Hillshade (i.e. shaded relief) from Pro to Online

02-22-2024 04:54 AM
Labels (1)
Dana_FSC
New Contributor III

I'm trying to put a drone-derived shaded relief raster on an ArcGIS Online webmap for inclusion in a StoryMap. I know that I can upload a hillshade raster derived from my DEM - this is the standard grayscale hillshade model created using Spatial Analyst. That's fine - but I really want a nicely colorized shaded relief raster. Super easy to create one symbolically in Pro - but no option to export it as such and no option to mimic that symbology in a webmap that I've seen as yet (there might have been a way to do it in the Classic viewer?). 

Anyway - I'm looking for either a direct solution or a creative workaround. I'm beginning to think I'll have to do some janky thing like create a JPEG image, georef that, then upload that to Online and make it work. Too much work for something that should be native to AGO since it's child's play in Pro. 

0 Kudos
9 Replies
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

Is that in a mosaic dataset?

0 Kudos
Dana_FSC
New Contributor III
It’s a tile package that I upload to AGO.
0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Dana_FSC
New Contributor III

Hey Bill - 

Yeah, that's it. But clarify something for me - can you apply styles in the new Map Viewer, too? Or just Classic? Sorry for being such a NOOB but I didn't see it. I'll investigate now, but maybe just lemme know anyway? Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Dana_FSC
New Contributor III

OK - I think I know what the issue is: the raster (imagery) I'm working with a tile package generated from a TIFF. So the Styles option isn't even an option. I'm trying to figure out what type of imagery/raster data IS supported for applying a Style. Once I've got that, then it seems VERY easy. But of course it's esri - so it's never easy. Just possible. 

0 Kudos
Dana_FSC
New Contributor III

OK - I think I figured this out. 

I uploaded the DEM as a Hosted Tile Layer but what AGO wants/needs to be able to apply a Style is an Imagery Layer. That allows for raster styles (or symbology) to be applied - things like a shaded relief. To be able to add an Imagery Layer using the New item menu in AGO, you need to pay for yet another AGO license - the ArcGIS Image for ArcGIS Online license (in addition to your Creator license). So for $770/year you can host Imagery Layers. 

I think this is the answer. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

0 Kudos
BillFox
MVP Frequent Contributor

do you have an option to use on-premise ArcGIS Enterprise?

0 Kudos
Dana_FSC
New Contributor III
I don’t for this.
0 Kudos