Columns not visible in hosted feature layer

Jump to solution
12-22-2022 10:11 AM
Labels (2)
RandyMcGregor3
Occasional Contributor III

I have a feature layer that by default does not show some important columns. I am trying to make them visible, but when I select them to be visible, they don't stay that way. I suspect this might be behind problems I'm having with layers becoming disconnected in maps after I overwrite the layer - These columns are used in symbolization, filtering and labelling. Any one else experienced this?

RandyMcGregor3_1-1671732508160.png

RandyMcGregor3_2-1671732649184.png

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I see the issue, and not as intuitive to fix as one would think.

Under Item Detail, select the Visualization Tab and Not the Data Tab.

Then, ignore the "Fields" button, doesn't seem to do anything but let you change the alias for them.  However, select the Popup config button, Select Fields list, then "Select fields" and make sure all the fields you want to show have a check next to them, then select Save in upper left.

Now when you go back into the Data Tab, you will see the fields that you turned on in the Popup config of the Visualization Tab.

RhettZufelt_0-1671749984951.png

R_

View solution in original post

2 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I see the issue, and not as intuitive to fix as one would think.

Under Item Detail, select the Visualization Tab and Not the Data Tab.

Then, ignore the "Fields" button, doesn't seem to do anything but let you change the alias for them.  However, select the Popup config button, Select Fields list, then "Select fields" and make sure all the fields you want to show have a check next to them, then select Save in upper left.

Now when you go back into the Data Tab, you will see the fields that you turned on in the Popup config of the Visualization Tab.

RhettZufelt_0-1671749984951.png

R_

RandyMcGregor3
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you! That did it. There isn't a good way to test whether or nor this issue is behind the layers becoming broken when the layer is overwritten, because it's connected to active content. I can't risk a disruption until the data is updated (at which point I have no choice), but all these fields are used in symbology, filtering and labelling, so if they are set to be not visible by default, it's a very strong possibility this is causing it. It will interesting to see if these fields reset to being not visible after the next overwrite. If they are, I can at least turn them on now.

The weird thing is that while they are not visible by default, I can find them using other means, which is why I have been able to reconfigure the layers after a disconnect. Anyway thank you very much. This was an extremely unusual issue. Seems like a bug.

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos