Select to view content in your preferred language

Completely Transfer Features To Another AGOL Account

4 weeks ago
MeganLapinsky
New Contributor II

I need to completely transfer a StoryMap over to another account for long term housing. The StoryMap has a sidecar block with a webmap containing 2 feature layers. These feature layers (attributes) and webmap will need to be editable in the other account, along with all functions in the StoryMap. So total, I need to completely transfer a StoryMap, a webmap, and 2 feature layers to a completely different account. Any tips and tricks on how to do this? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MichaelKohler
Occasional Contributor III

Not sure if this will work for you. We recently moved from ArcGIS Online logins to SSO logins and had to move content from a users old account to a users new account. There is an option to Change Owner when an item is selected. Select the item/s you want to move and under the More dropdown, there is a change owner option.

MichaelKohler_0-1715796577500.png

0 Kudos
Laura
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

You can view someone's content by clicking on their profile. From there you can select all and go to more - change owner. 

0 Kudos
SaraJL
by

Transferring ownership works will if you are working with organization accounts (transferring from one SAML account to another SAML account in the same organization)

The way we manage long term content:

• Create a shared ArcGIS Online group 
  • Transfer all content to the person that is the owner or a manager in the group

The groups work well because then multiple people can have access to edit and maintain the content. 

Note: It does not work to transfer ownership of content from one SAML account to an ArcGIS Online public account (unless that public account is somehow added to your SAML organization site)

0 Kudos
MeganLapinsky
New Contributor II

@MichaelKohler @Laura @SaraJL 

Thank you all for your responses!!

I do have the “Change Owner” option in the details page for each feature I need to transfer over (storymap, webmap, feature layers). Does the account I need to transfer everything over to need to be a member of my account? If so, is it just as easy as inviting the other account? And once I change ownership, everything would appear in the other account? Because my account will probably become inactive due to lack of funding and use.

When trying to invite members I get a message saying “Insufficient user types: Your organization does not have enough user types available to invite members.” Under licenses/user types for my account, it says 1 assigned 0 available 1 total. Does this mean, in order to add a member to the account I need to pay more?

My account is a different organizational account, completely sperate from the other account. To do the shared group option, do they need to be in the same organization? Or would it work if the other account is added as a member to mine?

0 Kudos
SaraJL
by

I think I might know the answer to most of those questions! 

• To use the "Change Owner" it does need to be an account that is part of your organization. If you need to transfer it to a non-organization account (Ex. A public ArcGIS Online account) I think the only way to do this is to add the account to your organization.
    • I'm still not 100% sure it works transferring from an organization to public account because there isn't documentation on it, but I've been told it works. In my organization, we don't allow public accounts for FERPA reasons, security reasons, and some other functionality problems that I've encountered.
    • Another thing to keep in mind - I highly encourage people to NOT transfer outside of the organization if they can, mostly because if your license grants extra storage and tools to your organization account, this would not necessarily be the cause on a public account. So if something happens to the project on an public account, the ArcGIS org admin can't fix it.
  • Once you change the ownership, the item will automatically appear on the other account. That user will have complete editing rights over it. Transfer everything that is potentially linked to the project (StoryMaps, StoryMap designs, apps, Web Maps, Feature Layers, etc.). It transfers pretty quickly, depending on how many items you are transferring and how large the content is.
  • Insufficient users types error - I have not encountered this error before, but it sounds like it's probably a permissions issue or the user you want to transfer the content to doesn't have a role assigned to them that's equivalent to your role (that could be the cause). If you are not the org ArcGIS admin, reach out to the admin to work out the user type error! But most likely, you just need to adjust/create a role and assign it to the person that you need to transfer the content too. If that doesn't fix it and you are the admin, definitely contact tech support.
  • For the last question - I'm afraid I'm not really quite sure of the question! But for Group sharing, everyone needs to be either 1) in the same organization or 2) the organization site allows outside users to be added. But even if outside users are added, this doesn't allow for the "change ownership" function. Allowing users to access Groups is not the same as adding their account entirely to your organization. I would also say that if it's being really uncooperative on this, contact tech support to see if they can take a look at the org settings.

In a nutshell: 

• If all accounts in the scenario are not part of the same organization - it makes it very difficult to change ownership.
  • If you're transferring materials, make sure it's to another user that has the equivalent permissions to edit the materials. 

I probably missed some things, but I hope that helps!

MichaelKohler

Sara is correct about most things. I'm not sure about moving to a public account or outside the organization.

I do know that the Insufficient licenses message means that you are trying to create an account (or change license type for a user) and do not have an available license for that user type. It does mean that you need to add a new license to your organization with the same user type, creator probably if that's what you have.

MeganLapinsky
New Contributor II

@MichaelKohler @SaraJL  Great, thanks so much for the information! I will look more into these and probably contact tech support to clarify. To do that I need to set myself as an "authorized caller", any experience with that?

0 Kudos
SaraJL
by

The primary contact for your ArcGIS Online organization has to do it in My ESRI.

If you are the primary contact, go to the Users tab > Manage Authorized Callers > and then it should tell you all the callers and their Call-In ID.

0 Kudos