Coordinate System Issue with Layers Hosted on ArcGIS Online after Recent Update

Jump to solution
06-15-2023 02:25 AM
Labels (1)
EmmettHurley
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am experiencing an issue with certain hosted layers on AGOL -  and it appears to be a coordinate reference issue, specifically with layers in the British National Grid (BNG) and WGS 1984 Web Mercator (WM).

I have noticed that the issue began following the 14th of June update to ArcGIS Online. Layers, that for years had projected correctly, were now showing in the Gulf of Guniea off the west coast of Africa.

I conducted several tests and found the following with the latest update:

• When sharing a web layer from a ArcGIS Pro project in the BNG coordinate system:

• The layer will appear in the Gulf of Guniea (both BNG and WGS84 MW layers)

• When sharing a web layer from a ArcGIS Pro project in WGS 84 WM coordinate system:

• BNG layer is displayed about in the right area but slight projection issues.
    • WGS 84 WM layer is displayed in the correct location.

It seems that the hosted layers are displayed correctly only if both the layer and the ArcGIS Pro project are in the WGS 84 WM coordinate system. However, this is not an ideal solution for me, as my data mainly used within the UK and the BNG system provides the most accurate measurements for my purposes. These layers have projected correctly for years.

I would like to understand why this issue has occurred after the recent ArcGIS Online update, and if there is a way to resolve it without having to convert all my layers to the WGS 84 WM system and re-hosting. Any insights, advice, or experiences shared would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

Hi @EmmettHurley 

Just to reply to this thread for wider awareness, this was logged as BUG-000159105 and was fixed overnight. 

Thanks for raising it the first place. We saw a lot of cases raised and that helped Esri realise this was a major issue and helped isolate the cause of the issue quickly.

If you see any more issue isses please raise them as a new post

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
EmanueleGreco_GNetwork
New Contributor II

Hi, we second this and have logged a ticket through our Organisation's support to raise the issue. Our layers are also in BNG 27700 and are now showing in the gulf of Guinea.
Thank you for posting this, let's hope it gets looked into as a matter of urgency as this is affecting our productivity

EmmettHurley
New Contributor II

We have also raised a ticket - but yet to have a response. If you do get a response, could you let us know and vice versa?

EmanueleGreco_GNetwork
New Contributor II

We have now received a response which is as follows:

Hi Emanuele,

My name is xxx, and I will be triaging your Support Case #0336xxxx.

If I cannot resolve your issue, I will pass your Support Case on to a dedicated analyst who will work with you to reach a resolution.

Thank you for raising this issue with us. 

We have received a small number of reports from Esri UK Customers surrounding British National Grid data not being projected correctly when used in the following ways:

• BNG Data with a WGS84 Basemap in Map Viewer Classic
  • BNG Data with a WGS84 Basemap in ArcGIS Field Maps

This behaviour occurred following the June release of ArcGIS Online and we have logged a high severity Bug with Esri Inc. for this to be looked into as a matter of priority.

This issue is currently being investigated by the product engineers with Esri Inc., and we will continue to provide updates as we receive them. We have attached your case to the bug, and we ask for you to escalate the severity of the Bug from within MyEsri: How To: "Escalate a Bug in My Esri "

In the meantime, the following have been identified as workarounds whilst Esri Inc. work on this issue: 

• Wherever possible please utilise new Map Viewer when authoring web maps in ArcGIS Online,
  • Should you require Map Viewer Classic, or ArcGIS Field Maps to carry out your workflows, this behaviour is not reproducible with BNG basemaps at this time

Please be assured that we are treating this issue as a matter of urgency, and we will keep providing you with updates as soon as we receive them.

RichardHowe
Occasional Contributor III

This is a major issue, which should be addressed ASAP!!!

DataOfficer
Occasional Contributor III

We are experiencing the same issue, and have logged a support case.

MarianneFarretta
Esri Contributor

Hi folks,
I appreciate the Support cases and Community posts, thank you for taking the time and opening this for broader awareness.

I don't have much additional information to share, I'm adding a note here to confirm the Online team is actively working to resolve this issue and it is a high priority.

I'll defer to the Support analysts on your cases to manage updates, but please know this issue is front and center with the full team behind the scenes and we'll have additional information to share later in the day.

Marianne

EmmettHurley
New Contributor II

Hi Marianne,

I see the projection issue has been corrected. But now the performance of the app is borderline unusable. The layers are slow to render and the webapp generally sluggish. Which was not an issue pre-update.

Is the online team aware of this?

EmanueleGreco_GNetwork
New Contributor II

Hi,

I was about to post as well, it looks like BUG-000159105 relating to the projection issue has been fixed. However, we have also noticed slower rendering and sluggish behaviour of MapViewer

Richard_Purkis
Esri Contributor

@EmanueleGreco_GNetwork @EmmettHurley If you have see any new performance issues please document these in a new support case and our team will be happy to help

0 Kudos