Correcting Mistakes on Online Basemaps

12-15-2011 11:49 PM
AnttiVeijalainen
New Contributor II
Hi,

Is there any process or procedure how obvious mistakes on ArcGIS Online basemaps could be corrected? Through time I've noticed a whole bunch of errors merely on Finland's area on several maps, mostly concerning incorrect names.

For example, someone at Esri Inc. to whom one could report mistakes and wanted corrections?
Tags (2)
27 Replies
KevinWiley
New Contributor II
Hi Mike,

I saw this thread and thought I would pass along a correction.  With the reunification of East and West Germany in 1990, a small change was made to the states of Sachsen-Anhalt and Thuringen. In the southwest of S-A, a district (Kreis Artern) was removed and added to Thuringen; however, your map (Light Gray Canvas Basemap) still shows this area as part of S-A. 

Thanks,
Kevin Wiley
0 Kudos
MikeSautkulis
New Contributor III

I came across this thread looking for some formal way to submit corrections to basemap data for (primarily) Light Grey Canvas, although others have the similar issues since I'm assuming the source data is the same.

I live and work on Long Island, NY and here's my short list.

NY Route 135 [Seaford-Oyster Bay Expressway] and NY Route 27 [Sunrise Highway] appear to be labeled as their "dedicated" names instead of their actual names. Regular and Vector

Suffolk County Road 51 changes names partway, and the point at which it changes from Center Dr S to Moriches-Riverhead Rd is incorrect. It should be approximately Lake Ave. Regular and Vector

Suffolk County Road 75 is not part of William Floyd Parkway. It is called Fire Island Beach Road. Not in regular light grey, but it's in others as well as the Vector

http://www.greaternyroads.info/pdfs/suffcr.pdf 

Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge is incorrectly labeled as Southaven Park (which is north of NYS Route 27). Additionally Southaven (insert "County")Park is unlabeled (compared to ragular basemap). Vector only

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/WRT_Trail_Map_FINAL.pdf 

Wertheim National Wildlife Refuge is incorrectly labeled as Southaven Park (which is north of NYS Route 27) in addition to it's correct label. Also indicate Southaven County Park. Regular only

Fire Island National Seashore labels sometimes occur on Smith Point County Park. While I believe Fire Island National Seashore does have a say in management decisions the land area is all Smith Point County Park. Regular only
https://www.nps.gov/fiis/planyourvisit/maps.htm 

Westhampton House is correctly labeled on the Vector Basemaps, but the regular basemaps have multiple labels down towards Pikes Beach.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

I'll pass it on...

thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
MikeSautkulis
New Contributor III

Thanks for the response. 

Aside from submitting data through the Community Maps Program, what would be the correct course for suggesting corrections to potential errors in the basemap data?

Thanks again,

Mike

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

As long as feedback gets to us, any method is fine. But, if you ask me to order the pathways, I'd suggest the following:

• Provide feedback on the feedback items above - as you say, the data sources are the same, so an error seen on the gray canvas basemaps is likely on the streetmap one.
  • Provide feedback from the ArcGIS.com website by clicking the Contact Esri link at the bottom of the page.
  • Post feedback to Geonet

Mike

0 Kudos
JanBenson1
Occasional Contributor

I posted this on the National Geographic World Map page, but thought it good to post here.  National Geographic World Map is a reference map. When the view is centered on all of Alaska (8.5 x 11 " size), I see ALASKA with UNITED STATES underneath it. I don't see anything to identify Yukon or Kamchatka, nor their respective countries. When I go to a 11 by 17" size, I see YUKON, but no CANADA. Kamchatka is absent as well as any mention to the country RUSSIA. Cartographic principles are based on consistency and uniformity. Given the lack of geographic knowledge in the U.S., this is a disservice to omit the country divisions and names. I notice this on paper maps of hand-held size. If I go to a mobile device such as a phone, again I see Alaska, but no YUKON or KAMCHATKA. Cartographic principles are such that if label one division, you should label others the same way.  I know you cannot label at all scales, but as a reference map, when I see a state, I should be able to the adjacent countries otherwise it might just as well be an island.  

Also, why does it say Mt McKinley on the Alaska? The name was officially changed in 2015 (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/08/150831-denali-mount-mckinley-name-change-geography-maps/). It needs to be updated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Hi Jan,  I edited you post to fix the link.  The   ).  was included and thus an error.  Should be ok now. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have observed a fairly big issue.

So, Esri uses our Community data in its community 100 update program for the Topographic basemap. So the Topo basemap is accurate (as of when we submitted) with our own local road centerlines and other data.

They do NOT use this data in the Streets basemap. Which we use on www.sagis.org because it "looks more like Google".  Or at least, it's more out of date than the Topo basemap.

Does Esri have plans to use the correct geometry data for Streets that they do in Topo at some time in the future? Also, I have noticed when zooming out, sometimes roads disappear and old ones that no longer exist, come up. I have discussed this a few years back with Esri and they mentioned they use national vendors for scales above neighborhood level.  Well.. .if that is the way it must be then, ok. I wanted to leave this here as a cautionary note to GISers. And perhaps inquire again and check in on this. Why can't our accurate local data be tiled on up the scale level the whole ways of levels of detail. The larger levels are the easiest and quickest to tile, right?  I would like basemaps to use local geometry, when possible of course. Or add Google to basemaps.     Just kidding.   I am interested to hear from Esri folks about whether they may plan to use the accurate local data from Topo maps, in to the Streets basemaps anytime in the future? Is that on a future update roadmap?   ( pun intended...)

0 Kudos
OliviaAskew
New Contributor

Chattahoochee Drive in Duluth GA from Peachtree Industrial Blvd to Rogers Bridge Road needs to be renamed to Main Street per our City Council.    I am the GIS Analyst for Duluth if you have any questions, mphillips@duluthga.net

thomasricard
New Contributor II

Hi Mike,

I was looking at all the different ESRI basemaps and I noticed that in Mecklenburg County located in North Carolina a creek has been labeled as Brier creek. The name of the creek is Briar creek. It would be great if you could change the name

Thanks for your help