Creating a Joined View Layer

03-27-2024 11:09 AM
Labels (2)
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

I've just been looking at Creating a Joined View layer to use in a web app for users, I know this is possible in the Classic Map Viewer (I had done my join in the current Map Viewer only to realize much later that it's not a view so it won't update).

This article outlines two options of how to do it. In Classic Map Viewer, you can pick any content you have access to regardless of owner in order to create this join view.

However, when I go to Create View from the item details page, when I get to Step 2, Choose Join layer, it will ONLY show content owned by the same user. Is this intentional? Am I missing something? (Is this related to the other ArcGIS Online issues I've been seeing this afternoon?)

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MobiusSnake
MVP

Even with the Classic Map Viewer you could only create a view if you owned both layers, otherwise it would force creation of a new layer the way the current Map Viewer does.  In the classic viewer's join window there's an info button next to the option about creating a view, clicking on it will show this:

You can create a hosted feature layer view from the analysis results if all of the following conditions are met:

• You are the owner of both layers.
  • Both layers are hosted feature layers.
  • You are performing an attribute join.

I haven't used joined views in a while but I seem to remember that when one is created they lock schema modification for the underlying hosted feature layers, it'd be a real hassle if someone else was able to lock down your schema, haha.

0 Kudos