Creating a Simple Story Map

08-27-2014 09:47 AM
TonyFairfax1
New Contributor II

I have a potential online mapping project. Thus, my question is: how long does it take to create a simple Story Map with ArcGIS Online? Thanks!

Tags (2)
11 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

It shouldn't take too long, if you know what you are doing

Maybe 1-2 hours depending on how involved your project is.

TonyFairfax1
New Contributor II

Thanks Tim!

0 Kudos
AndreeaAmbrus
New Contributor III

Agree with Tim. It took me about 1 working day (8h) to create my first story map - including learning the process, getting the data ready in ArcGIS, researching what's the best way to upload data in ArcGIS Online, and creating the story map. Now that I know what I'm doing, if data is quickly available, it should take less than 1 h.

JanWilkening
New Contributor III

It will largely depend on the template/app you are using. I can really recommend the Map Journal template, it's probably the most user-friendly and most efficient one out there.

KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

It's pretty easy to create a story map. The most time-consuming part is working on the content to make it a good story map. On some of the story maps we've created (like this one), we spent quite a bit of time honing the text to make it a simple but effective story.

CamBarnard
New Contributor III

Fantastic example of a story map Ken!

There is currently a broken image link in the "Eating for a Cause" panel.

KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the praise. We really enjoyed working on this one.

The image with the broken link is coming from a server that is currently down for maintenance (and not administered by us).

TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Great map Ken, very impressive.

PaoloMilani1
New Contributor III

I agree with Jan it depends on the template/app you are using. Here You can find some example that I'm developing