Creating Bilingual Storymap

02-09-2024 10:01 AM
Andrew_Aslesen
New Contributor

Hello,

I am looking to create a Bilingual Storymap. I found several blog posts about why this is a good idea, but none that actually tell you how to do it. I'm thinking the best way is to create a duplicate storymap and replace the text with the alternative language text, easy enough. My question though is whether there is a way for users to easily switch back and forth between the two language versions? Is there a way to add a button at the top of the storymap where they can switch to the other language and if so how do I do that?

Thanks, Andrew

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JessicaMcCann
Esri Contributor

Hi Andrew, 

I see you researched the subject of Bilingual ArcGIS Storymaps. You mentioned reading blogs. I am including this one, in case you didn't get a chance to look at it.

Bilingual storytelling with ArcGIS StoryMaps

This blog highlights two methods. This will be a matter of choice since both bring advantages and considerations: 

• Two (languages) in one: This means you are maintaining the two languages in the same story.
  • Choose your own (language) adventure: This is if you let the reader choose the language via a button you included at the top of the ArcGIS Storymaps. Which is ultimately a hyperlink to the ArcGIS Storymaps in the desired language. In other words, a copy.

Adding a new "Content Block" you will see "Button" in the Basic category. Write the text of the button (for example French) and click the edit pencil icon to include your link to the corresponding language ArcGIS Storymaps you designed.

Hope this helps.

Jessica