Custom travel mode - cycling travel time

08-15-2023 02:25 AM
Labels (2)
RandalEastman2
New Contributor II

This article points out how to create a custom travel mode for jogging time - vs walking time (by adjusting the walking speed from 5km/hr) by simply duplicating the walking time travel mode.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/analyze/travel-modes-analysis-mv.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_D39C751C9...

But there is no travel mode option for Cycling Time - which I think is a real shortcoming. However I cannot simply duplicate the Driving Time mode - as it shows me 0 TravelTime parameter.

What paramaters should I set to create a custom travel mode for cycling?

3 Replies
MaxZeng
Esri Contributor

There isn't a good way to create a cycling travel mode. Cycling require a different travel time and a different set of restrictions (some of the roads are not suitable for cycling), we don't have those information in our data so we don't have a cost attribute for cycling time or a restriction attribute for cycling, so you couldn't really create a cycling travel mode from existing travel mode. 

Create Jogging travel mode from Walking travel mode is simpler, because all the restrictions are the same, you can simply just change the speeds. 

0 Kudos
RandalEastman2
New Contributor II

I understand your reservations but it is still useful for me to estimate, just for comparison, so I used the the walktime and upped the speed to 21 kph and made a couple of other adjustments. My son who is the avid cyclist found this useful.

MaxZeng
Esri Contributor

Cool, good to know you were able to create a mode that is reasonable for cycling in the area!

0 Kudos