Dates Change when uploaded to ArcServer/ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
06-28-2016 01:38 PM
NickAlexandrou1
New Contributor III

I have a feature class in my SDE, that is archive enabled, and has Object ID's. I also has a field within it (fieldtype=DATE, fieldname=ProjectedDate), that is configured (mm/dd/yyyy). When I symbolize this layer based on the projected dates in an mxd, it looks fine. I then publish to ArcServer with Feature Service enabled. Everything up to this point looks great.

Once I take my feature server url for the service, and add it as an item to ArcGIS Online, something spastic happens. My dates were all configured to be the first day of the month. Whether its 10/01/2020 or 07/1/2018... every entry is on the first.

When it is uploaded to ArcGIS Online, what was normally 10/1/2020, has now become 09/30/2020, and a random time has been added to it.

I can no longer symbolize off of my original dates. Any suggestions as to where the slip-up is occurring? The original field is a DATE (mm/dd/yyyy).

ArcServer 10.2.1

ArcMap 10.2.1

SDE 10.1 (I think)

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

When you publish your feature service from ArcMap your time is assumed to be in UTC time, unless it is specified in the enable time settings. When you have a standalone date of 10/1/2020, it is stored as 10/1/2020 12:00:00 am UTC. When this is read through ArcGIS Online, a conversion is put on the time, based on your time settings on your machine. If you are located in California, this date will appear as 9/30/2020 5:00:00 PM (PST) with the conversion. This is why the pop ups will appear to be on a different date.

The considerations for working with dates section explains this in further detail.

Work with fields—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

When publishing date/time fields, try to set the time zone, using the enable time settings, or modify the time to account for your local timezone prior to publishing.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

When you publish your feature service from ArcMap your time is assumed to be in UTC time, unless it is specified in the enable time settings. When you have a standalone date of 10/1/2020, it is stored as 10/1/2020 12:00:00 am UTC. When this is read through ArcGIS Online, a conversion is put on the time, based on your time settings on your machine. If you are located in California, this date will appear as 9/30/2020 5:00:00 PM (PST) with the conversion. This is why the pop ups will appear to be on a different date.

The considerations for working with dates section explains this in further detail.

Work with fields—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

When publishing date/time fields, try to set the time zone, using the enable time settings, or modify the time to account for your local timezone prior to publishing.

-Kelly

EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Just in case anyone else lands here with a similar issue, we have an update. You can now use the date only field to store date information only, without an associated time. Check out this article for more info on the date only and other new field types to help with managing temporal data https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/time-is-on-your-side-with-new-field-...

0 Kudos