Do I need any extensions to publish a map to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap?

Jump to solution
07-26-2017 07:16 AM
WidmerEngineering
New Contributor

I came to realize after my purchase that I needed the Publisher extension to make a PMF file. I am also subscribed to ArcGIS Online and was told I could publish my maps there. 

1. Can this be done natively out of the box with ArcMap?

2. Can I just follow the steps listed here (http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/publish-features.htm) and get my maps available on ArcGIS Online?

3. Will they be publically available doing it this way? (That is what I want)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hello - Yes, you can do this out of the box. When you publish from ArcMap, follow the directions for that environment. This will create either a hosted feature service or a map image layer depending upon the settings you select during publishing. This item will be only viewable to you initially unless you share more broadly during publishing. Next you will move to ArcGIS Online to create a webmap.

Web maps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Once you have the web map, you can share it directly or build an application around it (Web AppBuilder or Template Applications).

Adam Z

View solution in original post

1 Reply
AdamZiegler1
Esri Contributor

Hello - Yes, you can do this out of the box. When you publish from ArcMap, follow the directions for that environment. This will create either a hosted feature service or a map image layer depending upon the settings you select during publishing. This item will be only viewable to you initially unless you share more broadly during publishing. Next you will move to ArcGIS Online to create a webmap.

Web maps—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Once you have the web map, you can share it directly or build an application around it (Web AppBuilder or Template Applications).

Adam Z