Does ArcGIS Pro License come with ArcGIS Online Account

Jump to solution
08-17-2023 01:12 PM
ChrisCrabtree
New Contributor III

Hello all,

I've read several posts on here about the question I'm asking but there's a lot of terminology on the ArcGIS Online side that I'm not familiar with (sounds like different user roles) so I wanted to ask the question my own way. I've been out of the GIS field for around 5 years now and I've never used ArcGIS Pro. The last version of ArcGIS I used was 10. something. The organization I work for is slowly pulling me back in to the GIS work I used to perform so I'm wanting to transition us to ArcGIS Online. I've had a free account for years where I play around and make different things, but I'm now needing a full blown ArcGIS Online account where I can have Creators, Viewers, Mobile Workers, and editors. 

I'm looking for myself to be the creator account, 2 individuals to be mobile worker accounts do they can use Survey123 and go out to collect field data, an editor account for another entity that does not do mobile data collection but o=would instead work on things from the office, and maybe a couple viewer accounts. I will be creating a lot of the data at first and will be working with old shape files that I have and manipulating data on my workstation, so I'm wanting to use ArcGIS and everyone tells me to start using ArcGIS Pro since I've been without GIS for 5 years. I guess instead of relearning ArcMap just learn ArcGIS Pro. 

Does buying an ArcGIS Online account guarantee me a license to use ArcGIS Pro? I believe I will be the only person needing it, but I was curious if the different account types (Creator, Mobile Worker, Viewer, Editor) came with particular desktop licenses. 

Thanks everyone!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisCrabtree
New Contributor III

For future reference, the reason it was showing a public account was because I needed to go into My ESRI and under the licenses / ArcGIS Online I needed to activate the license. I then had to have ESRI generate a link where I could convert my public account into an organizational account. I did this all via the chat support. I'm now in and have no issues. 

Thanks everyone!

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

You need a GIS Professional user type to access ArcGIS Pro. Creator is not enough. But there are also other ways to access ArcGIS Pro, and you might already have access to it if you have ArcMap, so I recommend you to talk to your sales representative.

ArcGIS Online Pricing for Teams & Individuals | Subscription Cost (esri.com)

ChrisCrabtree
New Contributor III

Looking at the differences in Creator and GIS Professional Basic it looks like there are only two differences that may impact me. Creator states "What's included: ArcGIS Online with the ability to Create, edit, and manage content and members". That wording is not on the GIS Professional Basic user details. Would I still be able to create, edit, and manage content and members with the GIS professional basic user type? 

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Yes, The GIS Professional Basic is basically an Creator with a license for ArcGIS Pro Basic. So anything a creator can do, the GIS Professional can also do. It is more evident from this page than from the one I linked earlier: GIS Professional User Type License | Advanced Maps with ArcGIS Pro (esri.com).

0 Kudos
ChrisCrabtree
New Contributor III

Hello @AndreasHall 

Sorry for the lateness of this reply, but I've been trying to get everything finalized so that I can get the changes made to my account.

I have an additional question. My organization is going to have an ArcGIS Professional license for me so that I can administer the account and have a desktop version to do my edits. We also have a mobile map maker who will be collecting data in the field. I have an additional organization that wants access to edit and view the maps I administer with mobile map maker. We can't add them to our account. If they setup an organizational account will they need a creator and map maker account to go out in the field and edit data, or can they use the creator account to collect and edit data in the field? 

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

They can use the creator account to collect and edit data in the field.

0 Kudos
ChrisCrabtree
New Contributor III

I purchased the GIS professional license today through my organization, created a new public account in ArcGIS Online, and had my organization administrator to send me an invite to join the organization. I received an email inviting me to join "My ESRI", but after joining, and signing in to mobile map maker and to Survey 123 I'm getting an error message stating I can't use a public account to sign in. Any ideas? Same issue when logging into ArcGIS Pro.

ArcGIS Error.jpg

0 Kudos
AndreasHall
Esri Contributor

Well, I guess that you can´t use a public account for what you are trying to do. Sorry, but I can´t help you anymore. 

0 Kudos
ChrisCrabtree
New Contributor III

That's the part I don't understand. It's an organizational account that we paid for. I figure this needs to be it's own topic now since I've crossed over into another issue. I will repost this in the forum to see if anyone has any advice. 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChrisCrabtree
New Contributor III

For future reference, the reason it was showing a public account was because I needed to go into My ESRI and under the licenses / ArcGIS Online I needed to activate the license. I then had to have ESRI generate a link where I could convert my public account into an organizational account. I did this all via the chat support. I'm now in and have no issues. 

Thanks everyone!