Exports methodologies for raster data acquisition

10-05-2015 12:33 PM
danielpatterson1
New Contributor III

​So, getting my hands wet with ARCgis platform, an endeavor to boost my graduate application, I feel that I'm capable to build basic maps. hooray!

At my current state, I realize that data acquisition is a struggle.

So, Im wondering if there are effective methods experts find useful to acquire raster data, used to build maps on ArcGIS Desktop. i.e topographic, orthophotos, so on...

Especially interested in data that can be scaled down to 1:10000 (walking scale)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There is an air of vagueness in the questions that you pose.   It would be more useful if you indicate what you have tried so that others can comment and guide rather than research and provide.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

I agree with Dan, that it's a pretty vague question and would really vary depending on your location in the world, if you can deal with just using services that exist, or if you need to have the data local.  The last option may limit you as to what is available for free.

I would start by looking at the ArcGIS Online site http://www.arcgis.com/features/   create a free user account, if you haven't already, and play around with what is out there.  Search the web for other data that might be available.  But typically, the cost of this data is very high and the disk-cost is high, so you probably will not get free "current" data....maybe some older stuff is online.  But you just need to start searching.....or as mention, use the available services available thru ArcGIS Online.  Especially if learning, that is a good place to start.