Extracting data from within polygon boundary

2 weeks ago
Storm119911
New Contributor

Hello,

Using ArcGIS online and I have two hosted feature layers, one polygon and one point data. I am using the Extractr Data tool to try extract the point data that is only within the polygon layer, however when I try do this and set the extent it still wants to extract all the point data, including those outwith the polygon. Can anyone offer any advice on what I could be doing wrong or if I should be using a different analysis tool?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I did quickly try this using a point and polygon layer, extracting to a CSV, and then publishing the CSV as a hosted feature layer to check the extraction. Everything worked as expected. 

Were it me, I would make sure that you've got your polygon layer set as your Extent layer. If you've inadvertently used your point layer as the extent layer, it's the full extent of the point (or line) layer that is used to set the extraction extent.

If you've done that, then I would scrutinize the polygon layer to make sure there's nothing unusual or amiss.

Another alternative workflow to the Extract Data tool would be to use Find by Attributes and Location, then use Export Data in the Overview tab of the resulting hosted feature layer to export to the desired format.

0 Kudos
Storm119911
New Contributor

Thanks. Tried again and then the Find Attributes and Location as you suggested but still getting the same results and all the point data is being extracted. Will look at the polygon layer further and see if the error lies in there. 

0 Kudos
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

That sounds like a good course of action. If possible, share the polygon layer you are using with me and I can take a (very) quick look at it and give it a quick test.

0 Kudos