Feature service layer vs Web Map Publishing

10-26-2023 03:25 PM
Labels (3)
tmo
by
New Contributor III

I initially published my data as a feature service layer so that symbology configurations would stay intact when publishing data.

After publishing my feature service layer, I grouped my data layers (tedious) for easier viewing. Then pushed it as a web map which contained said groupings.

Then housed under the new Experience App (preserves symbology > Web App Builder).

Upon subsequent data feature service layer overwrites I realized groups are not preserved (I do not want to build groups upon each subsequent data update and overwrite).

With that, I grouped my data layers in ArcPro (tedious). Then realized after the publishing analysis function that 'groups' are not preserved from Pro to ARCGOL (as a feature service layer), but web maps do preserve groups.

Decided to skip the feature service layer and publish as a web map.  Web map requires I include a base map. Base map included, but now stating the service layer has a different projection than the maps projection. Do the auto fix and now my web map/basemap match and are in WGS 84. However my data layers are in NAD 83 State Plane California V FIPS 0405 (US Feet).

So with discovering what works and what I can and cannot do I will publish my web map with said grouped data layers. The web map is in WGS 84 and data layers all in the LA County specific projection California V FIPS 0405. Is this difference going to be a problem, or do I need to put these layers in WGS 84? 

All this runaround because I wanted to create groups and preserve symbology.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

We just released the Group layer item: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/group-layer-items-a-new-way-to-bring...

If you can use Map Viewer you can group all your layers and save them off as a group layer item and bring them into new maps/apps. 

JuanManuelCruzHerrera
New Contributor III

maravilloso

0 Kudos
tmo
by
New Contributor III

Great, thank you for the response.

With that in mind, if I were to have this separate grouped item of my data layers, when I overwrite the data will the grouping/popup formatting stay the same?

This has been my concern, one-organizing the data into  groups and then, two- avoiding the tediousness of reformatting/grouping said data once it is overwritten/updated to ArcGOL.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

It depends on where the operational layer is info is stored. If the operational items have their popups etc saved back to their own individual item and then you create a Group layer item the info will just be at the operational layer item level. You could overwrite the operational layer item info if you do not do a save/save as on the sub layers but only do a Save/Save As on the Group Layer item. This would be similar to web map saving.

0 Kudos