Select to view content in your preferred language

Features disappearing when uploading to AGOL

Jump to solution
12-12-2014 03:53 AM
HåvardMoe
New Contributor III

The situation is like this: I have a map document with a map that I want to share with my organization on AGOL. When I upload, a large part of my data has gone missing...

In ArcMap, the layer comes up with 3578 features

After exporting to AGOL (sharing as a feature access service), the AGOL layer shows 442 features.

(I upped the "Maximum numbber of records returned by he service" parameter before sharing, to be on the safe side)

Anyone know what's going on here?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Håvard Moe

The problem is with null values in the field LOC_ANGLE. Internally, null values are represented as NaN in the file geodatabase, but the cloud database doesn't accept NaN, and thus fails to load the data. Also, because we load records in bulk, an error in one record will cause the group to fail. That's why you get only a small subset of your records, even though there are only a handful of Null values.

So the workaround is to replace those null values with a real number, like 9999 or something. Then, once loaded, you can edit the values to clear them out.

The fix will be released at our next update, Q1 2015. Thanks for sharing your data so we could find the problem.

Mike

View solution in original post

13 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you explain how you are publishing your data?

• Are you publishing directly from ArcMap? What version of ArcMap?
  • Did you analyze your map before publishing and resolve any problems?
  • Do you see any error messages in ArcMap, you may need to look at the GP tool results.
  • Have you tried creating a local SD file, then uploading it directly to your My Content, then publishing?
  • Can you share your data with us to try?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
HåvardMoe
New Contributor III

I'll try explainig a bit further:

Are you publishing directly from ArcMap? What version of ArcMap?

I've been publishing directly from Arcmap 10.1 (standard), sharing as a feature access service with upload to My Hosted Services at AGOL.

Did you analyze your map before publishing and resolve any problems?

When analyzing I get a three warnings, no errors:

- Layer's source is z-aware and no default z-value is defined

- Layer's source is m-aware

- Map is being published with data copied to the server using data frame full extent

The first two should only be an issue if I'm editing - which I'm not planning to allow anyway - and the last one is exactly what I want to do.

Do you see any error messages in ArcMap, you may need to look at the GP tool results.

I don't see any error messages. The GP results show successful exectution of the Stage Service and the Upload Service Definition operations...

Have you tried creating a local SD file, then uploading it directly to your My Content, then publishing?

Not before, but tried today with the same result.

That said, I have (sort of) managed to get it to work: The dataset has a lot of table fields with attribute data (54), and not all of them are needed for what I am doing now. I deleted some of the fields (to 24), and all of a sudden it works! I can't see any pattern as to why some features are copied from the source data and others not, and more important: There are no warnings or message that some of the data haven't been copied. The only reason I noticed was because so much was missing...

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you give us the original SD file to debug it?

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Mike:

It is a mystery. I delete the service, renamed it and republished it and nothing worked. I ended up creating an editing AGOL application and adding the missing features from there (highlighted in green on screenshot below).

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Jorge,

The features you highlight in your screenshot are not part of the SD file you posted. I'm not sure why they're not there. But that's why they didn't show up in your resulting hosted layer. Do you have another SD file?

Mike

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Mike:

I don’t have another SD file. But what you are seeing illustrates the problem I was having. My MXD and my geodatabase, showed the features; the table of attributes showed the attributes of the features. Yet, when I published the service, those two features in the lower left side of the screen would be missing. I could not resolve the issue at the time, so my workaround was to create a web editing application and add the missing features from within the application.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Jorge,

Because the missing points don't exist in the SD file, I don't think those points got copied. When you publish, the data copied to ArcGIS Online is based on the full extent of the data frame. Is it possible that those missing points are just outside the full extent set on the data frame? Here's a help topic that may be useful.

Copying data to the server automatically when publishing—Documentation | ArcGIS for Server

In the section Best practices for copying data, it says that only the data within the full extent of the data frame will be copied.

Mike

0 Kudos
HåvardMoe
New Contributor III

Sure - anything to find out what this is...

I attach two zips: One with the full table that isn't working properly (I get a few hundred features) and the other with the edited version that is working...

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

Håvard Moe

Thanks for sharing your data. We've reproduced the problem and there's a bug here. It seems there's an issue copying field information from the SD file and loading it into the database (we're still isolating the problem). I'm sure that's why removing fields helped you successfully publish. We'll get this fixed and it will be part of our next update at the end of Q1 2015. If we are able to determine a work around, I'll post it here.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos