Filtering Living Atlas Layers to Geographic Boundaries, Polygons, Lat/Long?

08-07-2023 02:24 PM
Labels (3)
KLMORGAN
New Contributor II

Has anyone on here figured out a way to filter a Living Atlas layer either by polygon, lat/long, or another layer in cases where the constraints you would like to apply don't exist in the attribute table, while keeping the layer live?

In this instance, I'm using the ESRI USA Current Wildfires layer, and would like to filter both the current incidents and wildfire perimeter layers to a specific region (New Mexico State). While the current incidents layer has an attribute for point of origin by state, which works great, the perimeter layer does not. Another example is the NWS precipitation forecast. I'm not doing any additional analysis on either, so I don't think the environments setting will help. I just want to clip the data to a specific area, while keeping the data live for use in a dashboard/storymap of some sort.

Thank you for any assistance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can use a sketch layer + blend modes to achieve this. Here I am using the polygon in a sketch with blend mode destination in to get only the fires and fire perimeters to be displayed. 

RussRoberts_0-1691502353878.png

https://jsapi.maps.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=3e731fb9bac4419ea054839ad369070a

0 Kudos
KLMORGAN
New Contributor II

Thank you Russ! From a processing/optimization standpoint, will using this method be likely to make the map load faster, or not really?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Not really, the features are essentially just being masked out of view, so if a user pans outside the state those features would still be requested but not displayed. 

0 Kudos