hide fields in table - ArcGIS Online

06-23-2022 02:47 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is there a way to permanently hide fields in a hosted feature layer table without creating a hosted feature layer view?

I'd rather not have two layers of the same information showing different fields.

This is in New Map Viewer not Map Viewer Classic.

Thanks to all.

15 Replies
ZackK
by
New Contributor III

If the table is closed, looks like the field is back in when table is opened again. I was referring to hiding fields on a hosted layer in map viewer that could be saved.  With this setting users would not see those fields in map viewer table, until map editor changes it back.  So basically, using the same hosted layer, but hiding field A in one web map, and then hiding field B in another.  Currently, it seems that our option is to use a multitude of view layers for various web maps.  This works, and should remain an option, but allowing hiding fields of the hosted layer would make the process bit quicker.  +1 vote from me asking if there is an update on this setting using a hosted layer.  Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
konstakuorikoski
New Contributor II

Sorry for bringing this discussion back up. I stumbled here while looking answers to same question.

We are building AGOL based solution where multiple people with slim GIS experience would be using Map Viewer to track projects and customer queries about those projects. The data contains fields that aren't important for those mainly using the data, but are or would be beneficial for me as admin for the layers. For example fields containing edit logs. Besides those, the main users have certain needs for field order in attribute table.

Right now, neither hiding nor changing order will be saved when Map Viewer is used. Making it pretty bad UX. In Classic, both of these work. But using attribute table as extra source of information besides popups isn't as good experience. So we have combination of two bad solutions to simple problem. I really hope you could get this functionality to us.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @konstakuorikoski - I wonder if creating a hosted feature layer view would accomplish what you're looking to do?

0 Kudos
konstakuorikoski
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

thanks for the reply. Hosted Layer Views are new thing to me (and for the rest of the department), and sure looks promissing. However, it seems to only fix half of the issues. It does help with hiding those fields that aren't needed by the general editors for the layer. But arranging order of the fields in Map Viewer still doesn't save. Not even within same instance. I tested this by changing order of two columns, closing Attribute Table and saving the map. Opening Attribute Table again, the order is switched back to default. Changing order for Pop-up configuration doesn't work in Map Viewer either, seems like that is only effective for Classic.

If the order of the fields could be changed to different default directly from layer Data settings page, that probably would be best. Similar to how visualization default is done from layer Visualization options, not from Map view. Though it seems like bug that Map Viewer Attribute table forgets user set order when table is closed and reopened.

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @konstakuorikoski - we're getting there then!  Hosted Layer Views are pretty interesting certainly.  I don't know about the permanently reordering of fields in the Map Viewer but one workflow that could work, a bit clunky, but could work is in ArcGIS Pro, use the Export Features GP tool to export to a new feature class AND permanently reorder the fields in the feature as referenced here. Then share as a web layer to your Portal.  Then use the Hosted Layer Views in the Map Viewer.  Clunky yes, but it would work.

0 Kudos
konstakuorikoski
New Contributor II

Hi,

thanks again for recommending Hosted Views. While they don't work with this problem, they are something I will use with other data for sure.

To clunky way, yes, that could work. We'll have to think about it. Good thing is that it would only need to be done once per layer.