How do I import a shapefile into ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
04-20-2023 02:18 PM
IsabelleLey
New Contributor

I keep trying to add a shapefile into my map on ArcGIS online through adding a file, but it tells me that the shapefile is invalid every time, no matter what I do. The file works in ArcGIS Pro, so I know that the file itself works, I guess that I just cannot figure out how to zip it properly so that ArcGIS online will accept it. I have attached both the original file downloaded from the USGS and the file that I changed and rezipped to import the file. Can someone please tell me what I did wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mahdi_Ch
New Contributor III

Can't download the zip file on my current machine but meanwhile please check out these points from the documentation:

• When you create a .zip file that contains the .shp, .shx, .dbf, and .prj files that comprise the shapefile, store your shapefile directly in the root (the central directory) of the .zip archive, not in directories within the archive. If your .zip file viewer shows path information, the path should be blank.
  • The shapefile must contain valid geometries. If you have ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap, you can use the Repair Geometry geoprocessing tool to correct invalid geometries in shapefiles. Invalid geometries cannot be published or drawn in a map.
  • The following features are not supported: multipatch or multipoint geometries, geometries that cross the dateline, and self-intersections in polygons. Shapefiles with these features cannot be added to a map.
  • You cannot drag shapefiles directly onto a map; you must add it as a layer.

Do they all apply?  (I know 2nd one is not the case based on what you mentioned)

documentation link:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/shapefiles.htm

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mahdi_Ch
New Contributor III

Can't download the zip file on my current machine but meanwhile please check out these points from the documentation:

• When you create a .zip file that contains the .shp, .shx, .dbf, and .prj files that comprise the shapefile, store your shapefile directly in the root (the central directory) of the .zip archive, not in directories within the archive. If your .zip file viewer shows path information, the path should be blank.
  • The shapefile must contain valid geometries. If you have ArcGIS Pro or ArcMap, you can use the Repair Geometry geoprocessing tool to correct invalid geometries in shapefiles. Invalid geometries cannot be published or drawn in a map.
  • The following features are not supported: multipatch or multipoint geometries, geometries that cross the dateline, and self-intersections in polygons. Shapefiles with these features cannot be added to a map.
  • You cannot drag shapefiles directly onto a map; you must add it as a layer.

Do they all apply?  (I know 2nd one is not the case based on what you mentioned)

documentation link:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/shapefiles.htm

0 Kudos