How to ensure full logout on mobile devices when using Azure SAML logins for ArcGIS Online?

10-24-2022 03:52 PM
Labels (1)
JohnRitzman1
New Contributor II

We're testing out SAML logins for ArcGIS Online for the first time. We're using Microsoft's Azure Active Directory. So far, we've been able to get it working, but are running into an issue on mobile devices.

On desktop workstations, when a user closes their web browser, by default it logs them out of their ArcGIS Online and Microsoft accounts. On mobile, however, closing the web browser only logs the user out of ArcGIS Online, not Microsoft. So, if anyone else tries to log into ArcGIS Online via SAML, it'll automatically log them into the previous user's Microsoft account (and thus their linked ArcGIS Online account) with no prompt whatsoever. This happens on iOS (Safari) and Android (Chrome) and even if the first user declines the "Stay signed in" option.

The only way for a user to "fully log out" on mobile is to go to Microsoft's Office 365 website and manually click "Sign out", or to shut down and restart the mobile device. This presents a security risk if someone forgets to do this, and could create confusion as some of our mobile devices are shared between multiple users. It's also affecting a third-party app we use that connects to ArcGIS Online for single sign-on.

Have other people run into this issue? If so, how have you dealt with it? I'm hoping there's a straightforward way we can have the user be completely logged out when closing the mobile browser or logging out of the third-party app, rather than forcing them to take extra steps to do so.

1 Reply
SaraJL
by
Occasional Contributor III

It's not exactly the same - but we were experiencing a similar issue!

We currently use SAML/Google log in for shared GPS devices - small groups are working on data collection projects in the field, so we need to be able to occasionally switch log ins on the same device. I first noticed it when using ArcGIS Field Maps on the android GPS units, but I was also able to reproduce the issue on an iPad/iOS.

The only ways we were able to remove the user:

• Clear out the cache on the browsers - if you have Safari, Chrome, or some internet browser open on the mobile device, clear out all of the cache and history. This will allow the user to log out
  • If there isn't a browser cache - removing/reinstalling the app. Restarting the device was not enough to remove the user on our devices (not sure why)

ESRI support logged it as a bug for us! The clear cache is a workaround for now - I'm hoping that they fix this in the future. It's really a huge pain for group data collection projects.

I would definitely report it to your support rep if you have one! It's a legitimate bug in ESRI mobile hardware/software.

Good luck!

0 Kudos