How to fix a Bing Map projection that is about 10 feet off?

12-06-2011 11:33 AM
ChristopherJaggie1
New Contributor
I have the problem occasionally where bing maps is consistently about 10 feet to the southeast off my field collected data (field data is in state plane coordinates)- what is the best way to go about fixing this problem? I've done the WGS to NAD83 transformation without seeing results.  Should I create a custom transformation? (I've never created a custom transformation), or is there some quick way to add in the shift in the file properties?

Usually I just grab a different map file that does position correctly, but in this case I need the most up to date aerial that bing maps offers.

Thanks!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
What area of the world are you looking at? I've heard of similar problems, but we don't really have any solution...

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/42696-Projecting-data-correctly-in-Arcgis-basemaps.?p=146150&viewfu...

Mike
0 Kudos
ChristopherJaggie1
New Contributor
Northeast-central New Jersey
0 Kudos
RickGeittmann
Occasional Contributor II
Same here - I have pulled in some 3rd order survey marker data and two markers that are @ 350 ft apart results in an error of 4.43 ft at one marker and @ 3.2 on the other - although data that is angled NW & SE alignment seems to look OK but data in the N or S directions is off quite a bit. I am located in Washington state on on the southern end of Puget Sound. I am actually surprised at the amount of error in the spatial positioning - especially in small areas.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Rick,

What are you displaying over the map? A shapefile? What is the coordinate system that the shapefile is stored in. For best results, it should be in Web mercator Auxillary sphere.

Mike
0 Kudos
JOHNSMITH12
New Contributor
I thought I had a similar problem however after moving around my map I found the problem was confined to a specific region. Could someone please help figuring out what the deal is with this? There is a clear break in the Bing imagery where roads don't align.[ATTACH=CONFIG]18164[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]18163[/ATTACH]

First image is Bing and second image is NAIP 2008. The area is near Possum Kingdom Lake in Palo Pinto County, Texas.
0 Kudos