How to lock a map I've shared from being edited by anyone?

Jump to solution
06-18-2014 12:28 PM
JennWood
New Contributor II
Is it possible to 'lock' a map shared with the public from being edited by just anyone? I want to share the information but I don't want anyone to be able to add data or edit the data in the map. If so, is there a way to view the map as if I was the public (and not a publisher/administrator for my organizational account)?

Thanks for your help! I swear I have looked high and low for a straight answer to this question.
Jenn
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Jenn:

When you sign into AGOL and author a map, that is "your" map.  You save it and then share it to "everyone" if you want the public to see it.  When the public finds your map, they can view it and add more data layers to it, but they cannot save over your version of the map.  They do, however, have the option to save a "copy" of your map as their own map.  Once again, they cannot overwrite your map.

While signed into your account, share the map to everyone and then also copy the map's URL.  Sign out of your account and paste the URL into a new browser tab.  Your public facing map should open and you should see a "Sign in" button in the upper right-hand corner proving you are view the map not as yourself.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34704[/ATTACH]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeFlannery
Occasional Contributor III
Jenn:

When you sign into AGOL and author a map, that is "your" map.  You save it and then share it to "everyone" if you want the public to see it.  When the public finds your map, they can view it and add more data layers to it, but they cannot save over your version of the map.  They do, however, have the option to save a "copy" of your map as their own map.  Once again, they cannot overwrite your map.

While signed into your account, share the map to everyone and then also copy the map's URL.  Sign out of your account and paste the URL into a new browser tab.  Your public facing map should open and you should see a "Sign in" button in the upper right-hand corner proving you are view the map not as yourself.

0 Kudos
JennWood
New Contributor II
Jenn:

Great, thank you!

If someone from the public copies the map, will they be able access all of the data attributes? For instance, if my map contains a layer that has 10 attribute fields, but I customize the pop-up to only show 3 of those fields, could the person using the copied map see all 10 attribute fields or could they only see the 3 attributes?

Thanks!
Jenn
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
They would initially get the map as you configured it, but will have access to the same authoring tools you do, so they could expose the attributes themselves on their own map.

Mike
0 Kudos