How to restrict the number of basemaps in the basemap widget.

03-15-2022 06:26 AM
RobertBuckley1
Occasional Contributor

Having the basemap widget in the map is obviously a great thing to have. But I really need to be able to optionally reduce the number of basemaps shown. Some of my users only need 2-3 at most. The list is far too long and irritates users as it costs time and effort to sift through the options. Let this be the administrators job instead of the users job!

Is there maybe a hack to restrict this somewhere?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not a hack, but a built-in setting! By creating your own "basemap" group, you can winnow that list down to just the essentials, and even add new ones to it not in the list of default basemaps.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Josh:

Is this an all or nothing solution where you have changed the basemap available to all users throughout your organization?  What if different depts want a different list of basemaps available in their apps?

jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Not at all! While sharing a map to the basemap gallery group makes it available to the basemap widget, the visibility of an individual map depends upon that map's sharing settings.

Consider my 2003 Imagery basemap. It's in the basemap group, but is not shared publicly. When logged in:

jcarlson_0-1647360953839.png

When not logged in:

jcarlson_1-1647360973601.png

Of course, you may only want the gallery to appear differently for different users, but not necessarily restrict access to those basemaps. In that case, you're out of luck. Mostly.

The Web App Builder's Basemap widget does let you define a custom list of basemaps per app. But otherwise, it's based on the basemap group and each item's sharing settings.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
FernandoAvakian
New Contributor

Hi Josh (and community),

I take the liberty of asking you how to set the widget in a fashion that it only shows the basemaps I configured in the basemap group of my organization, not only for people in my organization but also for non-registered users (external).

We are creating an app for which we need only a restraint number of basemaps; I configured a group basemap but when external users access the app, they see all the basemaps offered by ESRI. Is there a way to restrain that?

Thanks,

Fernando

0 Kudos
PaulBarson
New Contributor

I have a custom basemap gallery created, but the basemap widget in Experience Builder doesn't seem to be configurable, and it is pulling up all the available basemaps, not just ones in my group.

Thoughts?

PaulBarson_0-1683310986780.png

0 Kudos
FernandoAvakian
New Contributor

Hi Paul,

The same happens to me... Did you find a solution you could share? This could be a life saver.

Thanks!

Fernando

0 Kudos