I added a CSV file to my map and symbolized the points.

10-01-2016 03:41 PM
RichStein
New Contributor

I need to add additional records to the CSV file. Do I have to re-add the entire file? Or can I somehow update the map to retain the original records and add the new ones?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Not sure I follow... if records are added to a file that is currently being displayed, then it should reflect the changes the next time it is opened.  This assumes of course that any symbolization applied covers all classes that existed in the original symbology and/or legends.  Of course a test would confirm what would happened under your conditions.

0 Kudos
RichStein
New Contributor

Hi Dan,thanks for the reply.

I have occasion to update and add records to the original spreadsheet. I then save it as a csv and drag it onto the map again. I would like to have the same style applied to the file without having to painstakingly re-symbolize each category.

In the old days of ArcInfo, there was a concept known as a markerset. This was a file containing details about how to display a layer. When a new layer was brought into the map, the markerset was specified and the data in the layer was displayed accordingly. 

Is there such a method in ArcGIS online?

Rich

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Are you just dragging and dropping the file on the Map Viewer? If you need to add additional records, you'll need to update the CSV and then drag and drop again. 

If you publish the csv as a feature service through My Content, then you would be able to edit the feature service through the map viewer and ignore the csv file: Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Another method would be to have your csv hosted somewhere lile Google Docs. Then you could add the docs URL to the map viewer. Any changes made in the Google Docs spreadsheet would be reflected in the map viewer (this spreadsheet would have to be publically shared and this mightn't suit you)

Carmel

RichStein
New Contributor

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am dragging and dropping the csv file onto the map. 

I have occasion to update and add records to the original spreadsheet. I then save it as a csv and drag it onto the map again. I would like to have the same style applied to the file.

In the old days of ArcInfo, there was a concept known as a markerset. This was a file containing details about how to display a layer. When a new layer was brought into the map, the markerset was specified and the data in the layer was displayed accordingly. 

Is there such a method in ArcGIS online?

fyi, hosting the file in Google docs is not an option. 

Rich

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

I don't believe it's possible to do that in ArcGIS Online, not in a straightforward manner anyway!

You could publish the data, symbolise it, save the layer, head to the service URL of the layer, Update Definition, copy the code for the symbology. Then republished your new data, head to the service URL of the layer, Update Definition and paste the code for the symbology...but it'd probably just be as quick to do your original workflow!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Rich,

In order to maintain symbology, you will need to save the data as a layer. If your feature service is created from a CSV file with Longitude and Latitude values for location, I recommend publishing a hosted feature service from the csv file. You will then have the option to overwrite the service with a new csv file of the same name. Manage hosted web layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

This will allow you to maintain the symbology while updating the data.

Cheers,

Kelly