I'm having an issue with WAB not showing changes to symbology or symbols after overriding the service. Even if I remove the layer after overriding the service WAB will not show the layer in the table of contents.

08-19-2016 12:21 PM
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

I created an app for our housing inspector to show inspection data with symbols like “Not Inspected”, “Inspected”, and “Violations”. Just simple circles and squares. The department wanted to add a symbol for followup inspections. So I added new symbol and everything working fine in Arcmap. I override the service and the description within the service shows the newly created symbology but the app did not accept the changes. I created a new map within ArcGIS and add the layer and the changes appear. So I make one more change by increase the size and changed the color of the symbol, override my service and the changes did not show up in the app once again.

Not sure what going on.     

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Chet,

Typically when I do something like this, I have to completely delete my existing service and then completely recreate it. For minor changes (like changing an attribute value or a geometry change), a simple re-publish works just fine. But if I am adding a new symbol to the layer's symbology, I have to completely re-do it, unfortunately.

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline?sr=search&searchId=2d22ff46-7fdf-43ed-...

0 Kudos
AndrewValenski
New Contributor II

Chet,

So the changes are being reflected in the new web maps / apps, but the existing ones fail to reflect the most recent symbology changes. Interesting. Have you cleared the browser cache and confirmed this behavior is persistent. I vaguely remember a bug written on a similar behavior on Portal for ArcGIS, but I can't seem to find it. Please let me know if the browser cache has any effect. 

Additionally, if you change the symbology and add a dummy point (i.e. a random point outside the AOI) and overwrite the service, does the app take the changes? Perhaps modifying the symbology is not enough to force a change in the client. Thanks!

Cheers,

Andrew

0 Kudos
ChetShuler
New Contributor III

Acting really strange.. I cleared the cache, removed the layer and stilling not working properly.

What's really strange is I cannot load the layer into the map viewer but the web app shows the changes in the layer symbology but the points do not show up on the map. I'm going to recreate the map and app for use. Any future information about this problem will be much appreciated.

Also just out of curiously. The setup for Security under the Policies within the ArcGIS Online. Our initial setup we do not have the "Allow access to the organization though HTTPS only" toggle on.. Our security guru prefers not to toggle this option and I'm not sure why? Hopefully this is not an issue with functionally.     

0 Kudos