Inviting Users from a File Doesn't Respect Custom Role Field? Really? Come on guys!

04-18-2014 09:49 AM
StaceMaples
Occasional Contributor III
I'm guessing this is one of those no-brainers that gets forgotten in Esri software, so often. I've created a custom role for students, and in attempting to invite in bulk using a csv file, of course, AGO doesn't use the Role field, but just makes everyone 'User." I'd call this a bug. It would also be really helpful if you could assign members to a group using the file, too.

So, how about a word on how long it takes you guys to fix this bug? Because, this is such a no-brainer that that is really all you can call it.

So, for now, I guess I need to go in and change 35 g0#&$@($d user types, manually.

Oh, and then add them manually to groups.

FML
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
StaceMaples
P.S. We should be able to set the username from the file, too.

Duh.
0 Kudos
StaceMaples
Holy Crap! I can't even change to the custom role in the one-at-a-time interface. Seriously, I'm going to have to go into the profile of every single user and do this?

OK, that's just idiotic, and someone needs a demerit for that.

THIS is why we don't let people use AGO, here. You make it impossible to manage.
0 Kudos
JamesAshton
New Contributor III
Probably not the most elegant solution and will require some python scripting. Here is a tool I found out about that might help with a few of your use cases. Group assignment forsure. Not sure if the new custom roles will work with this library.

def update_user_role(self, username, role):

https://github.com/Esri/portalpy

Thanks,

James
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
I suspect you are attempting to invite a user into the organization and assigning them a role that has administrative privileges.  For security reasons, we do not allow you to invite users into the organization with administrative privileges. If anyone were to intercept the email, they would have access to your organization with administrative privileges and could potentially cause harm. While I understand this may be a little time consuming for you as the administrator to go back and manually adjust privileges after the user has joined the organization, this gives you an opportunity to ensure that the correct person has joined the organization before granting them such power in the organization.

We document this here:

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/administer/invite-users.htm

You cannot select Administrator or a custom role with organization administration privileges during the invitation process. You can change the role after the member has joined the organization.

Upper and lower case also matter. Make sure you match the case of your custom role in the file you use to invite them.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
HeathBrackett1
Occasional Contributor II

Mike,

I'm using PortalPy and can't access any roles other than org_user, org_publisher, and org_admin.  I can only assign one of the ESRI-defined roles to a user via PortalPy.  And if I query a user's role (a user with a custom role), the response role is one of the standard 3 ESRI-defined roles.  I assume it returns the role that was used as a template to create a custom role.  How/when are we going to have access to these custom roles via the API?

Heath

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

What exactly are you trying to do? Is the interface not handling something you need? As I understand it, PortalPy will support custom roles, but it doesn't do so yet. It's on the plan, but with no release date set yet.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
HeathBrackett1

Mike,

We are just beginning to implement enterprise logins in our ArcGIS Online Organization.  We have over 100 members in the organization, but many of these members 1) have no content and 2) have not logged in to ArcGIS Online in over 4 months.  So I plan to delete these accounts before migration so that there are fewer accounts to migrate.  But, I need to store things from their user information, such as group memberships and roles so that if they request to join the organization at a later date I can restore those things. 

I am also working on writing a tool that allows an adminitrator to assign new users roles and group memberships once they have logged in for the first time.  (We have set up our enterprise logins to allow members to log in automatically without an invitation).

ArcGIS Online is becoming a popular and important platform for our organization and we are trying to stay ahead of administration by scripting as much as possible.  It would be fantastic if the ArcGIS REST API could keep up with the emerging technology.  I still don't see any documentation on how to access credit consumption on a per user/item basis although I see the Activity Dashboard for ArcGIS has that granularity.

Heath

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

The tasks you mention are available in the UX for an administrator. For example, you can bulk add users to an individual group and also add one user to many groups at once. I suppose you want to automate this in some fashion rather than doing it manually.

Our plan is to fully incorporate the activity dashboard into the arcgis.com website, so that is coming. We don't currently document the API the activity dashboard uses to monitor credit consumption, and as I understand it, there aren't plans to do so.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

0 Kudos
HeathBrackett1

I know that they are available in the UX, but we want to be able to automate many of these tasks so would like the ability to access the full functionality via the API.  Accessing and assigning custom roles through the API seems like a no-brainer to me and I look forward to the 10.3 release. 

Why wouldn't you make the API used in the activity dashboard available to everyone?  I understand that most of it would require more monitoring than most organizations would be willing to perform, but as we build out our administrative tools, we'd like to have as much access to these resources as possible.

0 Kudos