Is it possible to group layers in a web map in ArcGIS Online?

Jump to solution
01-10-2015 08:24 PM
DavidMuthami1
Occasional Contributor

I want to group layers in ArcGIS Online web map in a similar fashion to what one does on ArcGIS for desktop. If this is possible kindly let me know how it is done. Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi David,

What type of layer are you using in ArcGIS Online? Feature Services, Feature Collections, ArcGIS Server Services?

ArcGIS Server Map Services can display grouped layers in the Service, whereas group layers are unsupported with Hosted Online Layer types.

This idea has been logged on the ideas site, at the following URL Group layers for ArcGIS online. Please promote this idea if it describes your issue and add any comments with how you would use group layers to improve your workflow.

Cheers,

Kelly

View solution in original post

5 Replies
larryzhang
Occasional Contributor III

What type of content you can manage in ArcGIS Online, pls refer to What can you add to ArcGIS Online?—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi David,

What type of layer are you using in ArcGIS Online? Feature Services, Feature Collections, ArcGIS Server Services?

ArcGIS Server Map Services can display grouped layers in the Service, whereas group layers are unsupported with Hosted Online Layer types.

This idea has been logged on the ideas site, at the following URL Group layers for ArcGIS online. Please promote this idea if it describes your issue and add any comments with how you would use group layers to improve your workflow.

Cheers,

Kelly

DavidMuthami1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly, The type of layers am dealing with in AGOL are feature sevices. It would be great to see the grouped layers feature/functionality in AGOL. Regards, David Muthami

0 Kudos
EricPollard5
New Contributor

I agree. You should be able to group hosted feature layers that you create via ArcGIS online in a webmap.

0 Kudos
Mark_Hotz
Occasional Contributor II

David:

Actually, you can display layers as groups in ArcGIS Online.  These groups do not inherently appear in the actual legend, but they do appear as groups in the "Contents" section of your legend.  Although this isn't perfect, it does at least help one better organize their layers.

Most people are uploading single Shapefiles to ArcGIS Online.  This is Ok for single layers, but once uploaded you cannot then group your layers.  So rather than upload single Shapefiles as layers to ArcGIS Online, you need to Zip multiple (preferably Like) Shapefiles into one Zip file, and upload them all as one Zip file.  ArcGIS Online will then group those Shapefiles as layers under whatever name/title you gave to your Zip file.

I hope this helps at least a little.