Is it possible to have both choropleth and circles displayed at the same time?

10-30-2023 07:35 AM
Labels (2)
Jackbigs
New Contributor II

Hello there, 

Apologies if this has been asked before or if it's something obvious. I'm new to trying to learn how to use ARCGIS as it seems to be more advanced in its capabilities. Anyways, I was wondering if it's at all possible to have both a choropleth/fill map also have circles on it. To clarify I'm trying to show a count of callers from each county as well as by specific zip codes and have both visually represented at the same time. I'm mostly trying to figure out if this is possible within Power BI but if it can be done online then I assume I could transfer it over to a dashboard? Any help, suggestions or directions to this information would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks!

0 Kudos
9 Replies
bbollin
Esri Contributor

Hi @Jackbigs, yes it is possible to display a map using color and size but you need to have the correct types of variables to apply the style. In this example I have the cities layer selected, then I clicked on Styles. From here I clicked on the + Field button where you can add one or more fields to represent on your map. Once I selected my POP2000 field, I applied the Color and Size style.

bekahbollin_0-1698697494977.png

You can learn more about what styles are supported and how by viewing the table in this documentation: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/apply-styles-mv.htm

0 Kudos
Jackbigs
New Contributor II

Appreciate your reply! So would it be possible to do something like... Show a choropleth by county that shows, for example, food insecurity rates and then use circles to show locations of food banks within that county?

0 Kudos
bbollin
Esri Contributor
Absolutely @Jackbigs! I'm not sure how your dataset is structured, but I would have two separate layers in my map like this:

1: Food bank location points
2: County polygons

Then from here, select the points layer and apply the field you want using the steps above (or can just leave as a defaulted location).

For the counties layer underneath, apply a color/choropleth map that displays the food insecurity rates using the steps above.

If you share your data or describe how it is set up I can help you out a bit further

bbollin
Esri Contributor

It sounds like you may be new to ArcGIS Online, if that is the case I highly recommend working through these free learning samples: https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/get-started-with-arcgis-online/ this will allow you to get a better understanding how how to build your map

0 Kudos
Jackbigs
New Contributor II

Do I need to have a file structed in a very specific way to have it upload? I'm trying to load the feeding america data I have and when I click next all it does is spin and return to the page that shows the name of the file I chose. No explanation of why it is or isnt working. Do I need to have coordinates  for arc to accept a file? I have county and state locations but that doesnt seem to make a difference. If i try to upload a file that does have long and lat it allows it. Ive attached the CVS for you to see.

0 Kudos
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

I think the issue with uploading this dataset is due to your header names. It is best to avoid spaces, special characters, and headers that start with a number. Additionally, some of your headers are rather long and very similar, so when they get truncated they are duplicate names which is also not allowed.

Cleaning up your headers should help with your publishing issue. However, I would also recommend cleaning up your data fields as well. Including % and $ in your cells turns that value into a string instead of an integer or double. This will limit the types of things you can do with that data.

- Jen
0 Kudos
Jackbigs
New Contributor II

Ah okay, thank you for that. I'm used to being able to ingest most anything into Power BI and it not really be a problem. It would be nice if the program gave some insight as to what the problem is rather than tossing me back to the same page.

0 Kudos
Jackbigs
New Contributor II

Okay I'll take a crack at this and see how it goes. As far as the data, the insecurity rate we pull from feeding america's data so its just a percentage by county. The food bank data is based on our own collection of those locations and its pretty basic, zip code address name etc etc

JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

A classic AGOL trick is to dupe the layer of interest and then set up multiple copies with all the different styles of interest. Just rename them something useful after duplication.

The real trick you'll see is designing your data table that you upload to be able to show all you want.

Fun times ahead! Enjoy!

0 Kudos