Is it possible to transfer a cached image from Portal to AGOL?

Jump to solution
06-07-2017 12:01 PM
MarkHotz
Occasional Contributor II

We use AGOL sparingly (corporate policy restricts our use of it).  However, I would like to learn if it's possible to use one of our cached images in ArcGIS for Server/Portal in AGOL.  I don't see much literature on the subject anywhere, so I'm surmising that it might not be possible.  But it would be very handy to be able to transfer a cached image that we have already created using ArcMap as a map service to AGOL.  We can certainly create map services directly from ArcMap to AGOL...imagery would be nice too :-).  This would really help when we need a better image for use in our ArcGIS Collector app when gather data from the field.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

Are you looking to reference the Tiled Service from you ArcGIS Server instance?  If so, you can do this by going to My Content > Add Item > From the Web > enter the URL to the tiled service.

If you are looking to have ArcGIS Online host the tiled service you can export the cache out to a TPK file using the Export Map Server Cache tool.  You will specify 'Tile Package' for the Export Cache Type parameter.

Next upload the TPK to AGOL using the Share Package tool.  Finally, you will see an option to Publish the TPK in AGOL. 

Also, here is a document that discusses similar steps:

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2996 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Mark,

Are you looking to reference the Tiled Service from you ArcGIS Server instance?  If so, you can do this by going to My Content > Add Item > From the Web > enter the URL to the tiled service.

If you are looking to have ArcGIS Online host the tiled service you can export the cache out to a TPK file using the Export Map Server Cache tool.  You will specify 'Tile Package' for the Export Cache Type parameter.

Next upload the TPK to AGOL using the Share Package tool.  Finally, you will see an option to Publish the TPK in AGOL. 

Also, here is a document that discusses similar steps:

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2996 

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Although I can't answer your question re: uploading to AGOL, you may want to look at creating a Map Tile Package from your current cache and then loading it on an SD if Android or doing a side-load using iTunes if on an Apple device.  I'm assuming Windows devices wouldn't be an issue.

This is assuming you have a smaller study area and don't need the world or you full cache....or that it is reasonable size).  We had to break ours up into < 3 GB (.tpk) to get it to work.

Take a look at Using your own Basemap layers with Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Blog 

One other issue we are running into is that all the base maps must have the same projection/reference system.

A few other helpful links, even if not going offline...

Tips for disconnected editing with Collector for ArcGIS | Support Services Blog 

Prepare maps for offline use—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Go offline—Collector for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

MarkHotz
Occasional Contributor II

Thank you very much both Rebecca and Jake.  This is exactly what I needed to learn.  I tried searching for this online but was not able to narrow it down...so you both saved me a lot of extra time.

Thank you again.

0 Kudos