Issue with popups suddenly no longer working in Map Viewer (or Experience Builder)

Jump to solution
a month ago
JoshBerna
New Contributor III

Hey yall, I'm having an issue with popups right now that seems to be a common occurrence by the looks of some of the threads I've seen (ex: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-online-questions/pop-ups-not-working-in-map-viewer/td-p/1280846). I haven't been able to find a solution however, and am hoping somebody has some new insight on this problem.

When I arrived to the office today, popups for a particular feature layer of mine were working. That is, in map viewer and experience builder, selecting a feature would bring up its popup information. This feature layer is a point layer (basic point symbology) of parking spots at a university campus that I have been working on. I realized I was missing a desired field from the popup and went to map viewer to add it in. I believe this is when the problem started.

As I type this, popups no longer work for this particular layer of the map, but work for the other layer. I click on a point, and it displays the tiny gray loading bar around my cursor, as though it is querying information, but no popup is displayed (I have noticed that when I disable popups for the layer, this little gray circle around the cursor does not appear, and this is consistent with the other layer).

I have read that this seems to occur rather frequently for certain people, and for different reasons, though I have been unable to find a solution that works for my case. I have checked the REST info and queries are supported. I have tried changing the point symbology as well, among other things, but have been wholly unsuccessful. Removing the field I added to the popup does not fix the issue either.

Curiously, the popups work in map viewer classic, which I have read has been attributed to the differences in symbology options between the two viewers for some folks. A myriad of different solutions have been presented on the thread I linked, and many seem to work for different people, though I have had no luck. It is my hope that somebody here may have new insight on this issue.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the link to my WebMap: https://arcg.is/0PnSij

And Experience Builder: https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/39ab9505a23a46c5b875d545879a6483/

Note that both are unfinished.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Looks like a change was made to this layer at the service and the schema was updated. The drawinginfo at the service references a field called Permit but the schema at the service level only has a field called Permits. Then in the query to the service both Permits and permit is included in the outfields which is causing the query to fail bc of the invalid field that exists in the drawinginfo being included in the query parameters. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
BernSzukalski
Esri Frequent Contributor

I took a quick look at your map and could repro - no pop-ups were available. I took a look at your services and noticed that (oddly) it was layer (3). I tried adding from URL but that did not show pop-ups, making me suspect of your feature layer...

I made a new copy of your feature layer, styled it like your original, and configured pop-ups like you had done. Everything seems to work fine now. 

https://onlinelabs.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=9964b466df014d8ea7cb5c57d088c42f

I suspect there is something curious in the workflow you used to create that layer, but not sure what that might be. Since I was able to make a copy of your layer and prove it works, that should be a a clue.

If you've not done so already, I'd recommend opening a support incident and you can include my test map and description provided here, and have them contact me if needed. But am suspecting there's something in the way that your feature layer has been created that is the root cause.

JoshBerna
New Contributor III

Well, thank you very much for the effort BernSzukalski. I think I will open a support incident on this issue. In conjunction with RussRoberts reply, I think I will make myself a copy as you have. I was hoping to not have to rebuild my queries in experience builder, but I don't mind so much now that I know it was likely an error in my workflow process. I think I can recall what might have attributed to this, so I will include that in my support incident. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Looks like a change was made to this layer at the service and the schema was updated. The drawinginfo at the service references a field called Permit but the schema at the service level only has a field called Permits. Then in the query to the service both Permits and permit is included in the outfields which is causing the query to fail bc of the invalid field that exists in the drawinginfo being included in the query parameters. 

JoshBerna
New Contributor III

Hey RussRoberts. Thanks for taking the time to provide your knowledge on this topic. The original project from which I pulled the data used a field called permit to symbolize points. I, for reasons now unknown to me, decided to call the field permits when I made my project and brought the old data in. This was a good bit ago, so I'm unsure on the particular steps I took, but this seems to be clearly attributable to an error on my part in this regard. I can see what you are referencing in the REST information: the display field is still permit. I'm going to resort to recreating the feature layer. Thanks again for pointing this issue out.

0 Kudos