Labels not appearing in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
11-23-2016 01:11 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am trying to label polygon features in ArcGIS Online. I check the box to create labels and then adjust the settings to fit my needs. I run into the problem that my labels do not show up at all scales even though I have the scale range set to World-Room. I have attached a picture of what I am talking about. The labels on the other three polygons show up, but only when I zoom in super close which is a problem. Any ideas how I can get these labels to show up at all scales? Again I have my scale setting set to show labels from the maximum to the minimum. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Nikholai,

Currently it isn't possible to choose alignment for polygon labels, but it is possible for point features. Here is a screenshot of the point feature labeling dialog:

You may be able to find some workarounds, such as using a point feature for labeling at large scales. I would also suggest submitting an idea at https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=94c8a3d4-4f08-4bf5-8c38-af3b2a5...‌ to describe the functionality with labeling polygons that you are looking for.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is almost like the features are too small for the extent. Also is there way for the labels too appear above or below the feature instead of going through the middle?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI Nikholai,

Can you share the web map that you are working with? I'm wondering if there is significant labeling conflict at that scale that is causing some labels not to draw. Try modifying the position of the labels by going to the web map or visualization tab and selecting the label icon. From there you can modify the the size and alignment to choose where labels should appear. This includes above and below the feature.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Kelly, 

I cannot share the web map as it contains information that can not be released to anyone outside our agrency. However, I can try to create a web map that demonstrates my issues and then share that. In the meantime, I don't see the alignment option for my labels in the web map options or the visualization tab. This is all I see for labeling options. Am I missing more configuration options? Do I not have the latest updates? 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

HI Nikholai,

Currently it isn't possible to choose alignment for polygon labels, but it is possible for point features. Here is a screenshot of the point feature labeling dialog:

You may be able to find some workarounds, such as using a point feature for labeling at large scales. I would also suggest submitting an idea at https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-ideas?sr=search&searchId=94c8a3d4-4f08-4bf5-8c38-af3b2a5...‌ to describe the functionality with labeling polygons that you are looking for.

-Kelly

APaulsen
Occasional Contributor

Year 2023 here, is this still an issue?  My polygon features in ArcGIS Online do not scale.  Only appear when you zoom in on the feature.